• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caregiver for my Grandfather forging & Looting everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flamente

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My Grandfather has just passed away on Sept 6th. He has had a caregiver for almost 20 years. Please note that our family was not happy with his choice of caregivers, but he was still able to make his own decisions legally. He became blind in 1993. The day he passed, this caregiver informed the hospital that she had a medical power of attorney(we saw this, and its a forgery.not noterized, and witnessed by the caregivers daughters) and not to perform any heroics. He had been at the hospital all day, and she did not inform us. He passed away with none of his family there that night at 12:20 in the morning. She did finally phone my mother at midnight, but it was too late. She then tried to take control of his remains (With a different forged medical power of attorney),which then told us something was very wrong. The funeral home told her the power of attorney was no good, because it ended upon his death. This caregiver will not let us in my Grandfather's mobile home that was in his name and my dead Grandmother's name. He had a van that was parked in the driveway, and one day after he passed, it was gone. My mother demanded to know where it went, and to have it brought back...the caregiver stated that it was getting new brakes. We tried to report it stolen, only to find it had been transferred into her name.This woman has made a passing mention of a Will that she has, and we asked to see it, she would not produce it. We asked if it was noterized, she said no...but a lawyer wrote it up. This caregiver has been trying to get my cousins to get her a certified copy of the death certificate, which leads us to believe there is a life insurance policy. My dead Grandmother had one on herself, so we feel that she had one on him as well. I have ran internet background check on this Caregiver to find that she had been passing herself off as a relative using my Grandfather's last name. We have tried to get the police involved, but they say it is a cival matter, and we need to get an attorney, but my parents are on a fixed income and can not afford to get one. If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate the help.We would like to get this woman behind bars so she cannot do this to another family. My Grandfather was a very stubborn man,but I know that he would not have signed over anything to this woman.

pojo2

Playing devil's avocate, perhaps he did sign everything over to her thinking she was the only one who cared about him.

You need an Atty!

flamente

I have a feeling that this caregiver has done this before. My Mother and I went to where we thought he may have had one of his bank accounts today, and learned that it was closed the day ofter he died. There are laws that protect elders form being exploited or robbed by caregivers. I know that he never would have signed over anything unless dooped due to losing eyesight. She could have had him sign something thinking it was for medicare or even a gift card. I know that she and her daughters are forging all documents, as none of this signatures match his last senior citizens ID card from the DMV, or any documents that we had from when my mother was young. I would like some advice on where to start to get a criminal investigation started. I am calling the Hotline for elder abuse that is with the attorney generals office in the morning. They have a 3 year campaign going on right now for this. My Grandfather was loved, but this women did everything possible to cut us out of his life, including changing his phone number several times without his consent. One of my cousins called the elder abuse services here in our county to have him looked over (he suspected physical abuse), and she ran off that individual by telling my Grandfather that they were putting him in a rest home. After putting together some peices of the puzzle, I am actually beginning to believe that her plan was to let him die from this illness. She states that he died from cancer, but he was never diagnosed with it. We are finding that he had an upper respitory illness that she did not get him treatment for. My Mother saw him prior to his death and told them both that he needed to get to a doctor for it. He said that he would. This caregiver also told my Cousin that visited that my Grandfather was becoming a burdon on her. My cousin didn't think anything of it...so she never mentioned it untill yesterday. We will be seeking an attorney in the morning to try and get a siece and disist order to stop her. Anyone else that can offer any kind of advice, please let me know. I am not looking for criticism, as it's not easy dealing with elders...so please understand that we have tried to do all we could before his death. He was a grown man making his own decisions, but now that he is gone, I do not want to see this lady profit from his death! He did not have much in monetary value, but it's the principal of it. I feel that if he really did willingly sign over all these things to her or if she had valid documents, she would have been upfront from the beginning. She would have nothing to hide, and just tell us that those were his wishes. Instead she has been coniving, and sneaky....and stalling us at every turn to gain time to forge documents. She has looked through every private and personal papers in that home. My mother still has childhood belongings in the home, papers, letters, ect. This caregiver has even read those, because she has mentioned things from these letters to my mother to try and make her mad. I will stop rambling....I just need some advice please!!

garrula lingua

Try the Senior Citizen Center in your area - they may know of an atty who specializes in Elder Law/Duress/Fraud issues.

Buy the Nolo Press book on how to do your own Probate & open probate case & file a declaration in the Probate court as to what this person has done.

Gather docs supporting what you allege and try the police dept/D.A. again, with proof. but...
Pojo may have hit the nail on the head - Gramps had a right to leave as he wished. How can you prove what Gramps wanted done ?

pojo2

I just reread your posts and the thing that strikes me is that this woman was his caregiver for 20 years!

You will have many problems without some concrete evidence that over that time he may not have indeed given her things.

I am sorry for all this but as I read the post what screams at me is where was everyone while all this was happening. She was an employee!

Yes, you can go to an Atty and you can hopefully, if indeed it is as described, possibly get her arrested but realistically it is going to cost a very large amount of money to do so.

flamente

Thought I would update to let everyone know that this caregiver went back to the funeral home yesterday and tried to pass a different forged fake document to try and get a certified copy of the death certificate. The Funeral director told this caregiver to quit coming in there with her fake documents and to not come back. The funeral director then gave my Mother a copy of the first fake forged document, and my mother called the police. We also found that the mobile home my grandparents have is still in there name, so we informed to call the fair housing to see what we could do. We were told to give her a 24 hour notice of intent to enter the premisis. We posted that this morning, and also called the sheriff again. They are now understanding our situation, and are willing to go with us tomorrow and ask this woman to produce her documents. If found to be forged(which they are) she will be going to Jail! Yeah...finally some hope!! :) They are also going to check DMV records, ect...to see what she has taken. Thank you to all that offered some advice as I really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">