• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case Dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

Quick question.

I recently had a case dismissed. Would I receive any confirmation of this in the mail or can I request one?

CavemanLawyer

You almost surely will not receive anything confirming the dismissal unless you request it. You should contact the clerk's office that the case was filed in (ex: County, District, etc...) and find out how to obtain a certified copy of the dismissal. You can go pick it up in person or they may be able to mail it to you for a fee.

You almost surely will not receive anything confirming the dismissal unless you request it. You should contact the clerk's office that the case was filed in (ex: County, District, etc...) and find out how to obtain a certified copy of the dismissal. You can go pick it up in person or they may be able to mail it to you for a fee.
Oh, I figured as much. Thanks for the advice, I was wondering about it. I'll just let it go, not worth the time or money. But thanks again!

CavemanLawyer

Actually, I'd strongly recommend getting the copy of the dismissal. Unless you get the charge expunged or sealed (might not even be possible, even if it can be you might have to wait several years first) its going to show up on your criminal background check. Also, depending on the quality of the background check it might not show the disposition, meaning that a potential employer might wonder if the charge is still pending or resulted in conviction. You really need the dismissal to prove that it was dismissed.

You never know, you might move and need it one day and it might be problematic getting them to fish it out of a warehouse somewhere and mail it to another state. Get it now when its easy.

Actually, I'd strongly recommend getting the copy of the dismissal. Unless you get the charge expunged or sealed (might not even be possible, even if it can be you might have to wait several years first) its going to show up on your criminal background check. Also, depending on the quality of the background check it might not show the disposition, meaning that a potential employer might wonder if the charge is still pending or resulted in conviction. You really need the dismissal to prove that it was dismissed.
You never know, you might move and need it one day and it might be problematic getting them to fish it out of a warehouse somewhere and mail it to another state. Get it now when its easy.
Ohh I didn't know it still shows up on a background check. I'll call tomorrow then. Thanks so much for the advice! You've been a great help :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">