• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a case of harrassement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sysmatrix

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi!

I have a question regarding a recent event. Want to know whether it can be refered as "harrassment".

We distributed a flyer that stated an incident that two person, one was my neighbour but another was her boyfriend, came into my apartment with invitation. We asked them to leave immediately, but they refued and ignored. The female started to shouting and insulting people. Also, the flyer stated the white male drove his truck in and out at nights in our community.

Will the flyer be considered "harrassment"? or they acted in my apartment acutually is harrassment. We did tell to apartment manager, but he failed to call police to file the incident. So police said they can't do anything with it.

A

amc822

Md. Ann. Code art. 27, § 123 (2001)

§ 123. Harassment

(a) Course of conduct defined. -- In this section "course of conduct" means a persistent pattern of conduct, composed of a series of acts over a period of time, that evidences a continuity of purpose.

(b) Applicability. -- This section does not apply to any peaceable activity intended to express political views or provide information to others.

(c) Prohibited conduct. -- A person may not follow another person in or about a public place or maliciously engage in a course of conduct that alarms or seriously annoys another person:

(1) With intent to harass, alarm, or annoy the other person;

(2) After reasonable warning or request to desist by or on behalf of the other person; and

(3) Without a legal purpose.

(d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, is subject to a fine not exceeding $ 500 or imprisonment for not more than 90 days or both.

S

sysmatrix

Hi! Amc882,

I can say that...

1. The flyer provided information to neighbourhood. Let them be aware of the specific event happened on the said date.
2. Actually, we did stated in the last paragraph of sentences. We thought the office was mismanagement becuase the office did not act timely.

Secondly.

When the two person came into my apartment. We have warned them to leave my apartment immediately. But they refuesed and ignored. They continued to stay inside of my apartment. Two neighbours lives next to us witnessed it. Also, they heard them shouting and insulting people repeatly. Even we warned them to stop doing that.

Do they fit into the harrassement category?

calatty

Legal harassment or not, it is classless and inconsiderate to use flyers to air your dirty laundry to the neighborhood which undoubtedly has no interest in being made part of your squabbles with other people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">