• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The case of the pawned computer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dalgor

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My stepson is buying a used laptop computer from his landlady. He has made two payments. He is also in the tree business and recently had all of his chain saws stolen. To finish a job, he pawned the laptop computer to buy a saw. The landlady has had him thrown into jail. My stepson has not told me the charges, only that it was related to his pawning the laptop. He now faces thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, etc. Although I initially thought of this as a matter of civil law, there must be some aspect of state or common criminal law which he might have violated. Can anyone shed some light on this case? If he continues to make payments, isn't the laptop his to do with as he pleases or is there a wrinkle we are overlooking?

JETX

Of course, no one on this forum can tell you what the circumstances are of the charges he faces..... but is it possible that he could have pawned stolen merchandise and you are not hearing the true story??

H

hmmbrdzz

I think there's a wrinkle, too. I don't believe he would have been thrown in jail for "making payments on a computer" and missing a payment if he had indeed purchased the computer legally and then pawned it. And with regard to the chain saws -- do you truly know that the chain saws were stolen from him?

I'm not an attorney, but I think he's in jail for something other than pawning a computer and has "thousands of attorneys fees" for something other than pawning a computer. What? I don't know. I think the chain saws are a wrinkle in the wrinkle. That's the light I can shed.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">