• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cashed checks for friend, then found out they were stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jassy1978

Arizona: Over a year ago my fiance cashed to checks for a friend, the friend had lost his wallet, had no ID and was in a dire financial state. My fiance, Bill, cashed his friends 2 checks that he had, he went to the bank that issued the checks and used his own ID and put his fingerprint on the check. Since then the 2 had a falling out and are no longer buddies. Last mo. (jan) the police came arrested Bill, on 1 charge, 2 counts of forgery. Bill only endorsed the checks so signed his own name so that is not forgery. the DA is "amending the charge to fit the crime", but havent told us what that is? Aiding and Abetting? Since his arrest Bill was released to pre-trial services. But since he was arrested in the first place and was on probation for a drug charge, he was charged with probation violation (cant go to jail while on probation). He turned himself in for prob. violation, but now is being held until his court date 3/11/02. His probation will be reinstated but not until he is sentenced for the forgery crime. What could they charge him with now? What are the consequences?? He has cooperated with police and gave him the name of the "friend" who gave him the checks. by the way checks totalled around $2000.00. He would never cash 2 stolen checks using his own ID knowingly, and he knew his fingerprints were on file because of his being on probation. We dont know what to do and i cant afford an attorney, he was our sole supporter, already lost our home, can anyoney shed some light???

L

loopgaroo

you fiance is a LOSER!!!!!!!!!!

Dont marry him.....he wil get you into more trouble and it will get worse.after all he is already on probation ...

Then he has such low life friends who are in bad fiancial shape.........

UH DUH most people would go to their parents or family FIRST to help them out.

And if you watch tv at all.....mannn i dont gotz no ID jsut about every criminal on COPS acts this way but your boyfriend isn't the brighest guy in the world so he fell for it.

Now he in BIG trouble.

So move on wth your life, let him spand time in jail, maybe he will grow up and realize that he never wants to go back to jail again.

J

jassy1978

WHAT THE???

I posted on here for legal advice not personal advice. I have known my fiance for a long time, we have a son together. he is a great person, a great father, one thing i love about him is his willingness to help others and be there for his friends. Unfortunately this one time he got screwed but I hope he continues to be his loving, generous giving self, though I'm sure he'll be more wary to who his real friends are. If anyone has actual legal advice, please post or email me. Other responses are not neccessary i will stand by him.
PS he is on probation because he was stopped for speeding and his little brother who was only 17 happened to have pot on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">