• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught with a Fake ID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jclev87

New York State, I was driving home from my college yesterday and i realized that i left my wallet on the roof of my car and drove off. (yeah i know...) Anyways, i got a call from a sheriff to come pick up my wallet and i was so relieved. When i got there he started asking me who's license this was, he had found an id that was hidden in the back of the wallet. He told me that if this person didn't call him he was going to come have me arrested. I actually found the ID in the downtown area that i live and i have never used it, just kind of kept it for fun i guess. I'm 19 years old. What are the chances he will come arrest me? What kind of trouble will i most likely get into? What should i do?

thanks
Josh

TomD1974

Pretty good because you could be charged with identity theft or a variety of other things.
I think it is doubtful that he would be charged with identity theft. To simply *possess* the ID of another is not the same as assuming that person's identity.

But there could be other more legitimate charges, such as possession of stolen property (making assumptions here).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">