• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught Shoplifting with Friend at Kohls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jearwolf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Let me tell you about my episode of beyond scared straight. My names J, and me and my friend, both 18, were caught shoplifting $70 **** shoes. Loss prevention took us in the room and told me and my friend we better not be 18, so I lied and said I was 17. He gave us forms that we filled out after not showing ID and I put down my real birth date on the forms (so did my friend). So the guy called the cop because we were under 18 (when we werent). I was hoping the guy would let us go because i was crying and almost peed my pants from being under so much embarrassment. The cop came and he took our id's and we told the truth. Kohls told us we were going to pay triple the amount (which im going to do) of the shoes. Then the cop took us outside and said "have fun at your movie" and let us go. That was it, he didnt tell us about court or anything? Im confused if we just have to pay kohls and thats it. This all happened july 23rd. Kohls also took our picture and if we went on their property they would charge us with trespassing. The cop never told us anythign really, he just told us how wrong it was to steal (something I definitely know now after I lost all control of my morality and values). I also wrote an apology letter for kohls LP's but should I send it? Also do you think im going to court? :confused::confused:

Just Blue

Let me tell you about my episode of beyond scared straight. My names J, and me and my friend, both 18, were caught shoplifting $70 **** shoes. Loss prevention took us in the room and told me and my friend we better not be 18, so I lied and said I was 17. He gave us forms that we filled out after not showing ID and I put down my real birth date on the forms (so did my friend). So the guy called the cop because we were under 18 (when we werent). I was hoping the guy would let us go because i was crying and almost peed my pants from being under so much embarrassment. The cop came and he took our id's and we told the truth. Kohls told us we were going to pay triple the amount (which im going to do) of the shoes. Then the cop took us outside and said "have fun at your movie" and let us go. That was it, he didnt tell us about court or anything? Im confused if we just have to pay kohls and thats it. This all happened july 23rd. Kohls also took our picture and if we went on their property they would charge us with trespassing. The cop never told us anythign really, he just told us how wrong it was to steal (something I definitely know now after I lost all control of my morality and values). I also wrote an apology letter for kohls LP's but should I send it? Also do you think im going to court? :confused::confused:
Hire an attorney. :rolleyes:

quincy

The "triple amount" that KOHLs is demanding from you is what likely would be awarded KOHLs if they were to file a civil action against you. If you pay the $210+ to KOHLs, you will avoid going to court on a civil claim.

However, you might not avoid court entirely. There are still criminal theft charges that can be pursued against you. These charges will be filed at the option of the prosecutor. Here is a link to the criminal theft law and penalties that you potentially face:

Ohio Revised Code Ann 2913.02 (B)(2): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.02
Ohio Revised Code Ann 2929.24 (A)(1): http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2929.24

Because theft is a serious criminal charge, you will want, as Blue Meanie advised, an attorney to help you. With an attorney's help, you might be able to avoid having a misdemeanor record. A misdemeanor can result not only in the penalties outlined in the link provided above but can also result in you finding it difficult to obtain employment, a cancellation of any student financial aid, problems getting loans and insurance (or you will find you are subject to higher interest rates and premiums), and you will be restricted in out-of-country travel.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">