• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught shoplifting a small amount from Target?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadecab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'm 17 and I got caught about a month ago shoplifting at Target. It was about $20 of makeup/beauty stuff and now I have to go to court this month. The officer said it was a citation, but I don't know what that means. Is it the same as a misdemeanor? They said I will likely have to do a program for first offenders and community service and stuff, and then I can get it expunged. But I will be 18 within six months, so do I have to complete the program before then to get it expunged? Also, what is going to happen when I go to court?

single317dad

You're probably charged with larceny of goods under $100 (petty theft), NCGS § 14-72(a). This is a Class 1 misdemeanor, but can be charged as a class 3 and 2 for first and second offenses. Maximum sentence is 120 days in jail.

Your charge and case status do not change just because you attain the age of 18, but you must complete any diversion program you might be offered by the time laid out in the agreement presented, which might be by your 18th birthday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">