• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught on tape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pattijones

What is the name of your state? virginia my employer has caught me on tape not ringing up items of purchase to family and friends. am i going to the big house???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pattijones said:
"What is the name of your state? virginia my employer has caught me on tape not ringing up items of purchase to family and friends. am i going to the big house???"

========================================

My response:

SMILE! :D

You're on Candid Camera!

When you least expect it, you're elected, it's your lucky day . . .

SMILE! :D

You're on Candid Camera!

Allan Funt

P

pattijones

Please sir, is that the best advice? Can I be prosecuted?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pattijones said:
"Please sir, is that the best advice?"

=========================================

My response:

From me? Yes.

However, you won't have long to wait before many others here add their "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions." The only thing holding them off from answering as quickly as me, is that they're still rolling on the floor, dying from laughter!

IAAL

Beth3

Now that I've collected myself, the answer is OF COURSE you can be prosecuted and you almost probably will be. The store didn't put in those surveillance cameras just for fun. You stole from the company - you might as well have emptied out a cash drawer into your purse and waked out of the store with the day's receipts.

How severe a crime you are going to be charged with (misdemeanor or felony) depends upon the value of the merchandise you stole. I suggest you obtain legal representation at your earliest convenience. Whether you will end up serving jail time is something nobody here can advise you on. I'm no criminal attorney but since the employer and the police have you dead-to-rights on the crime, I'd imagine your best option is for your attorney to plea bargain this rather than go to trial.

By the way, these family and friends who were happy to patronize your place of employment and walk out the door with unpaid merchandise may well end up being criminally charged and prosecuted too.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Things You'll Need To Do In Prison - -

NUMBER 10: Meet with advisors to settle on prison nickname.

NUMBER 9: "Wow, you don't get views like this from home!"

NUMBER 8: Prisoners allowed one threatening phone call per week.

NUMBER 7: Finally, you have something in common with Al Capone!

NUMBER 6: Become a prison pen pal with IAAL, Halket, and HomeGuru.

NUMBER 5: Five years in an American Prison is better than spending one evening in a Mexican Prison.

NUMBER 4: Math questions always seems to be about prisoners trading cigarettes.

NUMBER 3: Instead of "Happy Birthday" it's your crazy bunkmate screaming obscenities!

NUMBER 2: The only reason why your husband drives to the state prison to visit you anymore is to see if anyone else is up for a conjugal visit.

AND, the NUMBER ONE Thing You'll Need To Do In Prison - -

Don't forget to tip your prison guards after checking in.

IAAL

P

pattijones

Okay......pretty stupid question...glad I could make your day!!! I will overcome this and have learned a great lesson...thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pattijones said:

" . . . glad I could make your day!!!"

=======================================

My response:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It might be a good idea for you to buy some cloth to preview how you'll look in 5" wide horizontal stripes.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pattijones said:
"I . . . have learned a great lesson . . ."

========================================

My response:

Yes, I'm sure you have. I'm sure you'll be a lot more careful and cunning the next time you decide to be a thief. Suggestion - - Shoot "spitwads" into the camera lens, first. Then steal.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

knd010901

A lot of this depends on your age and the value of the merchendise and any prior criminal history. I am not a lawyer but just to give you hope, I was caught doing the same thing when I was younger. It was my first offense and with a good lawyer I was able to get a year of probation and some fees. Also, since I was 17 when it happend, I was able to get it removed from my permanent record. But If you haven't already hired a lawyer I suggest you do that quickly. It won't be long before your employer will press charges and you will have a warrant. One more thing, it is much easier to fight for a lesser punishment if you are not in jail, so get bailed out if you can. I do hope you really have learned from this.

P

pattijones

thank you for you honest and sincere response. the only reason i posted to this forum was for practical advice. unfortunatley my other posts were not taken seriously either. it is my hope that you will continue to answer to those seeking advise. the ridicule was justifiable i agree, but, that is not the purpose of this poster and you prove that...thanks

K

KeyLegal

I have seen some good, logical responses from IAAL, but his/her/its postings to your question are just completely off the scale.

There is a reasonable possibility that you will be offered an opportunity to make restitution for the amount of money involved. Also, if it is your first offense that you will end up with probation.

Wonder how much time IAAL has spent in either a U. S. jail or prison or a Mexican jail or prison? Or is he just an unemployed stand up comic? The World wants to know!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

KeyLegal said:
I have seen some good, logical responses from IAAL, but his/her/its postings to your question are just completely off the scale.

There is a reasonable possibility that you will be offered an opportunity to make restitution for the amount of money involved. Also, if it is your first offense that you will end up with probation.

Wonder how much time IAAL has spent in either a U. S. jail or prison or a Mexican jail or prison? Or is he just an unemployed stand up comic? The World wants to know!

My response:

You'll find that I have no patience, or sympathy, for criminals.

Read my "Profile" if you want to know more about me - - and, I would suggest you should seriously consider editing your post.

And, what the hell is "but his/her/its . . ." supposed to mean, you freakin' Mississippi-mud-stomping Missourian?

Go play a banjo, and squeal like a pig, someplace else.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

KeyLegal

Professor at a prestigious southern California law school? Which school? Member of a three partner law firm? Who?

Have total contempt for anyone charged with a crime? No question there.

Knowledge of Missouri? None

stephenk

my wife is a prosecutor with L.A. city. people who steal under $500 can expect at least 30 days in county jail if it is charged as a misdemeanor, plus probation for at least 2 years. Oh, forgot about the restitution to the store, court costs and a criminal fine. Plus the store can file civil action against the poster for civil penalties on top of the amount of money she stole.

If charged as a felony, say hello to state prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">