• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CCW Incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheapo

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am just looking for an opinion here.

I have been following the local news here in Denver about a shooting that occured a month and a half ago in a Blockbuster parking lot but I have heard little to nothing since. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/3920319/detail.html

A question I have is that even though Colorado has no 'retreat' clause in the CCW permit, in reality wouldn't be very hard to prove self defense if no attempt to 'retreat' was evident?

In the case above it could be argued that being wacked on the head could have caused 'fuzzy thinking' and retreat may not have been possible, However, generally, if there is no attempt to 'retreat', as our Colorado CCW permit says there needn't be, can you prove self defense?

Secondly, since we have reciprocity CCW with a number of states, how do I know which ones are 'retreat' states or not, and what other particulars about anothers states CCW laws, for example carrying on school grounds, in cars, in city or state parks? I know I am over thinking this but I just hate supprises when I travel.

In the Blockbuster case above, I believe that it was a tragic and dumb incident. A dinged car door should not end with 3 people sent to the hospital where one dies and another may die. As a CCW holder I want to believe that the guy with the permit didn't screw up. However, just becuase you have a 'right' to do something doesn't always mean it is the 'right' thing to do. We will see what happens. There have been no charges filed yet, but I am sure there will be some, and law suits.

I didn't know that a JW would bash someone in the head, then later used his faith to refuse a transfusion which may or may not have played a part in his own death. If refusing the transfusion did play a part in his death, how does that complicate charges, if any, are brought against the shooter?

CdwJava

Keep in mind that even a legally "good" shooting would not mean that the shooter is cleared from civil damages. Also, from the sounds of it, this thing COULD fall outside the self defense rules. if it were an incident that the shooter amped up and created himself - or, he shot the others out of anger - he could likely face homicide charges.

Personally, I only carry my gun with me part of the time. And I have had to draw it off duty only twice and both were within my previous jurisdiction in southern California to prevent apparent felonies in progress.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">