• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Celebrity Mention

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CoyoteBlue79

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section, but this is the closest I could find to match my question. A friend and I are starting a band, and in one of the songs we want to mention a few other singers.

My question is this: Would we need to get permission from those singers to use a few lyrics from a song or two, or just to mention their name? We are new to this, and we don't want to get into trouble first thing.

H

hexeliebe

Just mention them.

Or did you never hear of Clint Blacks song "Much too young to be this damn old"?

HomeGuru

CoyoteBlue79 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section, but this is the closest I could find to match my question. A friend and I are starting a band, and in one of the songs we want to mention a few other singers.

My question is this: Would we need to get permission from those singers to use a few lyrics from a song or two, or just to mention their name? We are new to this, and we don't want to get into trouble first thing.
**A: check out Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd where in the song there is mention of Neil Young for example. The name is ok, but do not take lyrics.

H

hexeliebe

I even have a song where I mention IAAL, HG and Jet along with a few farm animals but I can't post it here :D:D:D

wenwas

hexeliebe said:
Just mention them.

Or did you never hear of Clint Blacks song "Much too young to be this damn old"?

Thats Garth Brooks song not Clint Blacks and the song is "Much too young to feel this damn old"

Son of Slam

hexeliebe said:
Just mention them.

So he mentions ONE person, Chris LeDoux? A better example might be Frank Zappa, or Deep Purple, or Bobby Dylan. They could tell the tales on others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">