• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluebird395

What is the name of your state? connecticut

if my roommate, who knows my pin number for my cell phone voice mail, has been accessing my voice mail without my authorization, are there legal ramifications for this?

stephenk

1. how did your roommate get your password to your voicemail?

2. how do you know your roommate is accessing your voicemail?

3. why dont you change your password?

B

bluebird395

1. they saw me enter it into my phone on several occasions

2. i confronted them and they told me

3. it has been changed

D

DianneInNY

While there MAY be a law prohibiting this, I can't see that the police would be willing to pursue this person. While it is a major invasion of privacy for you and I understand how upsetting it must be, in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal. As far as any civil action, you would need to prove damages which you could not.

Why did your (ex) friend do this?

JETX

"if my roommate, who knows my pin number for my cell phone voice mail, has been accessing my voice mail without my authorization, are there legal ramifications for this?"

Accessing someone elses email, in itself is NOT illegal. And even if it were, your having 'allowed' them access by not protecting your PIN would preclude any statutory violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">