• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chances of jail time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soloflyer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MA
Just a quick question...

What are the chances of someone serving jail time for assault & battery? The person facing these charges has a fairly extensive criminal record that only involves violent charges - but the last offense was in 1993.

The Asst. District Attorney told me (I am the victim/witness) that the state will be asking for 30 days in the house of correction with a 2 year suspended sentence. Also the state wants a 2 year probation, anger management classes and a psych. eval. The restraining order I have against this person will be extended.

I am just wondering what the likelyhood is of jail time being served. I realize that it is up to the judge - but just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

If the state is requesting psych eval most likely they won't serve any time until that is done, apparently there is some question even on the state's part as to the person's mental stability. If they do, it looks like it won't be long, but with probation they might if violated, so it is very important to report any violations in the protective order and let those around you where you work and live know there is an order so they can report if you are not there when they show up.

Soloflyer

Thanks for the info.

The restraining order has already been violated (at work) yes - we work together (makes things even "better") I have not been to work since 12/22/04 as I don't feel safe there and my employer won't do anything to assist me.

Soloflyer

I am not able to claim disability - just FMLA - if I'm even granted that (I know it's a law but so far I have been amazed at what's been allowed to happen...)

I have exhausted all of my sick time and on advise of my attorney I sent a letter to my employer stating that I would contact the police if the restraining order was violated again and then, directly after sending that, I received a letter from my employer stating that they "made an error in my sick time" and I owe them $1200.

I just sent a letter back to my employer asking for clarification of the "overpayment" as I see it as a retaliatory type-thing (I didn't say the last part in the letter)

I am going broke that's for sure --> I have already had to pay over $1500 to my defense attorney and I'm a single parent with a mortgage & kid in private school. I'll be eating cat food soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">