• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with 1st degree murder?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Unjust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.

4 Year ago when I was 19, me and a friend were off scrapping metal, we went to an area where we probably should not have went, and he started trying to get a copper wire, and got electrocuted as result. At the hospital he was announced dead. Two weeks later, I am going to jail for Muder in the First Degree. After a few court dates it was amended to Second Degree Murder. I fought that case for 7 months, with court appointed attorneys who where telling me 4 years in prison for Second Degree Manslaughter was the best I could hope for. I refused, as I had no action in my friends death. I kept telling my lawyer that I would take no plea. During this, I was charged in contempt of court. Why? Because they wanted to use me as an example, even though a sheriff tried to tell them I was causing no disturbance. After a few more months, the murder charge was amended again, this time to theft of copper. I had been in jail for going on 10 months (having never been in any real trouble) my dad passed away from cancer, and I took a plea bargain less than 2 weeks later in order to get out and gt back to my family. Ever since it has been very difficult in finding a job, when my record is looked at, it still shows I faced murder charges, though it does say it was amaended. Also while I was fighting the case, the county charged me with "attempting to escape from a penile institution" for a small chip off the wall. I mean small. about quarter sized, and maybe 1/2 deep. I feel that I was justly wronged, I have lost friends, family, and many life opportunities because I faced charges that really did not hold any merit. I understantd if two felons are committing a serious violent crime or burglary that if one dies the other may be charged with murder, but me and my friend were way in the middle of the woods, with no violent activities. Can someone please explain what I am missing? I feel like I am entiteled for some type of compensation. (I also have over 10,000$ in fines over sitting in jail for that long and all the court dates.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

4 Year ago when I was 19, me and a friend were off scrapping metal, we went to an area where we probably should not have went, and he started trying to get a copper wire, and got electrocuted as result. At the hospital he was announced dead. Two weeks later, I am going to jail for Muder in the First Degree. After a few court dates it was amended to Second Degree Murder. I fought that case for 7 months, with court appointed attorneys who where telling me 4 years in prison for Second Degree Manslaughter was the best I could hope for. I refused, as I had no action in my friends death. I kept telling my lawyer that I would take no plea. During this, I was charged in contempt of court. Why? Because they wanted to use me as an example, even though a sheriff tried to tell them I was causing no disturbance. After a few more months, the murder charge was amended again, this time to theft of copper. I had been in jail for going on 10 months (having never been in any real trouble) my dad passed away from cancer, and I took a plea bargain less than 2 weeks later in order to get out and gt back to my family. Ever since it has been very difficult in finding a job, when my record is looked at, it still shows I faced murder charges, though it does say it was amaended. Also while I was fighting the case, the county charged me with "attempting to escape from a penile institution" for a small chip off the wall. I mean small. about quarter sized, and maybe 1/2 deep. I feel that I was justly wronged, I have lost friends, family, and many life opportunities because I faced charges that really did not hold any merit. I understantd if two felons are committing a serious violent crime or burglary that if one dies the other may be charged with murder, but me and my friend were way in the middle of the woods, with no violent activities. Can someone please explain what I am missing? I feel like I am entiteled for some type of compensation. (I also have over 10,000$ in fines over sitting in jail for that long and all the court dates.)
You think YOU are entitled to compensation? Yeesh!

ShyCat

I understantd if two felons are committing a serious violent crime or burglary that if one dies the other may be charged with murder, but me and my friend were way in the middle of the woods, with no violent activities.
Stealing copper "way in the middle of the woods" is still a felony. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Google the phrase, "felony murder rule" ... understand that a death that occurs during the commission of a felony can most often be charged as first degree murder. If you were convicted of manslaughter, that was a gift.

Proserpina

Well, heck.

:eek:

dave33

You would need an attorney who is willing to put in a lot of work and sue the state. Not likely without a lot of money. Basically, you have no choice but to move on. goodluck.

CavemanLawyer

Contact an attorney and look into the possibility of sealing/expunging the arrest data related to the original murder charge. You cannot do anything about your conviction but it may be possible clean up the rest of your non-adjudicated charges listed. I honestly don't know because I am not familiar with the laws of your state, but that is at least an option.

You have virtually zero chance of ever prevailing on any kind of civil suit arising out of your case if you plead guilty to any offense. Its one thing to have unlawful force used against you, etc... You can be guilty of your crime and the police can still "owe" you something. But if you are claiming that you were wrongfully charged or overcharged, the time to fight that was before you plead guilty.

Regardless of the original charges it sounds like you admit you stole copper and that is what you were ultimately convicted of. So its going to be hard to convince anyone that you are entitled to any form of compensation.

Eekamouse

One has to wonder if this poster is still going out and stealing copper to sell as scrap, despite what happened to his crime partner. Entitled, blameless, victimized criminals like this guy tend to think the world owes them and if he's caught again, he can always blame his crimes on the unfairness of court that unjustly held him accountable for his crime partner's death. Big fat :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

commentator

Yes, if I were this person's coach, officer, etc. I'd say that the chances of his not being back in the system shortly are very small. When one has had a bad experience in the criminal justice system (and really, I think this person actually hit the lucky day and got this could've been much worse, and he got it reduced down and has a chance at a new life.) But as I said, when you've had a bad experience of this type, there's only one song that you can sing successfully. It goes something like, "I really realize I made a terrible mistake(s), and I have truly learned my lesson. I will never do this sort of thing again, and I am truly grateful to society for giving me a chance to prove this."

Any deviation from this song, any of the "poor me" blues, (come on now, while you were incarcerated, didn't you notice that everybody in there had been screwed over by the system and was as innocent as a lamb?) any slight hint that you give a prospective employer that you think you've gotten a real harsh deal from society and life in general, and you are going to be unemployed forever no matter whether you could get this record changed or purged.

In fact, it sounds a lot like maybe you deserved these tiny little old itty bitty charges those unreasonable turkeys charged you with. And you were charged with contempt of court? Just at random, hm, because they wanted to make an example of you, hm? And just for sheer spite, they then charged you with attempting to escape because of a little bitty old hole in the wall. And you have lost friends and family (because they didn't support you?) and feel like society did you wrong, not that you did anything wrong. You were likely never caught for most of the illegal activities that you have done in your life, and you know this. It's your trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you are owed, that you were not responsible for your own actions that is making two thirds of your troubles right now. But what can be done? I don't know. To see our selves as others see us would be a priceless gift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">