• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with Battery and Simple Battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

picklesrus

What is the name of your state? GA

My wife called 911 because she came home and found me in the bathtub asleep and said she could not wake me up. She said she was concerned that I had taken to much medication my doctor had given me. I had been taking tranquilizers the day before and a hypnotic drug (prescription sleep aid) the night before because of the shock of my brother's recent suicide and funeral. I do not remember taking more than prescribed. When the paramedics arrived, I refused treatment. The sheriff’s deputies took my wife outside and told her that if I did not go to the hospital they would take me to jail, so under duress she allowed them to take me because she didn’t want to see me go to jail. She wasn’t thinking at the time to confront them with what I would be charged with and/or get a lawyer on the phone.

When I got there sometime later, an ER nurse told me she had to treat me. I told her to "leave me alone" at least once if not twice, thus refusing treatment again. She told me she had to and started toward me in a confrontational manner so I took my hand and being careful not to touch her breasts, grabbed her collar to hold her back. (The alleged act of battery.) She screamed for security and bit me to make me let go, then left. Later they put me in 4-point restraint and the only way I felt I could defend myself from this perceived act of aggression was to spit on one of the guards, (The alleged act of simple battery charge) which he then promptly hit me in the eye 3 times. The doctor in charge told my wife I was lucent the whole time and refused to call my personal doctor and had the cops haul me off to jail. Later I find out from my doctor that this hospital has a history of treating patients like me like so much trash.

There are three things I see as defense, and just need someone to validate.

First, I was only defending myself from perceived attacks and used minimal force in my defense.

Second, the action I took against the ER nurse because I did not intentionally cause "substantial physical harm or visible bodily harm" to her and does not qualify as an offence of Battery under GA code section 16-5-13.1. Also the action I took against the guard did not "intentionally make physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature nor did it cause him physical harm" (if I can convince a jury that spitting is not physical contact) and does not qualify as an offence of Simple Battery under GA code section 16-5-23.

Third, I would never had to defend myself in the first place if my wife had not been lied to and been told I was going to jail because I was lying asleep on my own couch in my own private house not bothering anyone else. I never authorized calling 911 on my behalf.

There were many times that I refused treatment and since even in the attending ER doctor’s professional opinion I was lucent, I had a right to do so, yet these rights were violated on many occasions.

The issue here is that the max fines for both counts is $2000 and so far every lawyer I've talked to wants much more than that to defend, yet I do not want to loose this case as it will affect the civil cases I bring against all parties involved.

Any good advise?

stephenk

at one point you were asleep in the bathtub then you say you were asleep on the couch.

what drugs were you under the influence of when the paramedics arrived? Are you going to sue your wife also for calling 911 to have you treated?

If you are under the influence and cannot make a rational decision, your wife can authorize treatment. It's only your word that she was tricked or is that the story she is telling you so you wont be mad at her. The police, upon arriving, could have arrested you for being under the influence of narcotics.

Why did you want to refuse treatment?

Spitting is an assault and battery. Dont be surprised if you are hit with a personal injury claim by the guard if you decide to sue everyone. He would have a valid claim for emotional distress since he doesnt know if you are HIV positive or infected with any other virus.

H

hmmbrdzz

picklesrus said:
What is the name of your state? GA

My wife called 911 because she came home and found me in the bathtub asleep and said she could not wake me up. She said she was concerned that I had taken to much medication my doctor had given me. I had been taking tranquilizers the day before and a hypnotic drug (prescription sleep aid) the night before because of the shock of my brother's recent suicide and funeral. I do not remember taking more than prescribed. When the paramedics arrived, I refused treatment. The sheriff’s deputies took my wife outside and told her that if I did not go to the hospital they would take me to jail, so under duress she allowed them to take me because she didn’t want to see me go to jail. She wasn’t thinking at the time to confront them with what I would be charged with and/or get a lawyer on the phone.

When I got there sometime later, an ER nurse told me she had to treat me. I told her to "leave me alone" at least once if not twice, thus refusing treatment again. She told me she had to and started toward me in a confrontational manner so I took my hand and being careful not to touch her breasts, grabbed her collar to hold her back. (The alleged act of battery.) She screamed for security and bit me to make me let go, then left. Later they put me in 4-point restraint and the only way I felt I could defend myself from this perceived act of aggression was to spit on one of the guards, (The alleged act of simple battery charge) which he then promptly hit me in the eye 3 times. The doctor in charge told my wife I was lucent the whole time and refused to call my personal doctor and had the cops haul me off to jail. Later I find out from my doctor that this hospital has a history of treating patients like me like so much trash.

There are three things I see as defense, and just need someone to validate.

First, I was only defending myself from perceived attacks and used minimal force in my defense.

Second, the action I took against the ER nurse because I did not intentionally cause "substantial physical harm or visible bodily harm" to her and does not qualify as an offence of Battery under GA code section 16-5-13.1. Also the action I took against the guard did not "intentionally make physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature nor did it cause him physical harm" (if I can convince a jury that spitting is not physical contact) and does not qualify as an offence of Simple Battery under GA code section 16-5-23.

Third, I would never had to defend myself in the first place if my wife had not been lied to and been told I was going to jail because I was lying asleep on my own couch in my own private house not bothering anyone else. I never authorized calling 911 on my behalf.

There were many times that I refused treatment and since even in the attending ER doctor’s professional opinion I was lucent, I had a right to do so, yet these rights were violated on many occasions.

The issue here is that the max fines for both counts is $2000 and so far every lawyer I've talked to wants much more than that to defend, yet I do not want to loose this case as it will affect the civil cases I bring against all parties involved.

Any good advise?
My response: No advise yet. Only one question so far.

Did EMS transport you voluntarily to the hospital or did they take you by force?

hmmbrdzz

D

DRN

"The police, upon arriving, could have arrested you for being under the influence of narcotics."

StephenK,

I can see them thinking it was a possible suicide attempt and sending him to the hospital for that reason.

However, can a cop really arrest you in your own home for being in your own home and under the apparent influence of narcotics, which, for all the cop knows, could have been legally prescribed?

P

picklesrus

She said I was asleep in the bathtub, I vagely remember that, I also remember her getting me to come down the stairs and me stumbling over an end table then lying down on the couch. I don't think I have any plans to sue her and I know her and she has never lied to me in 20 years. The drugs I were taking were prescribed for me and as far as I know I was taking them as prescribed. I may have forgotten and mixed something up by mistake but since when is it a crime to take your own prescriptions as prescribed or even make a dosage mistake? Most of the elderly would be in jail. I really not worried about what she did but the fact that I was taken to the ER by force and treated with out my permission. Their own doctor said I was rational, that's why I was sent to jail. The reason I refused treatment is because I knew the sleeping pill I had taken was short acting (half life of about 2 hours) and I would be okay. My wife just freaked.

P

picklesrus

DRN,

I have found that the cops can arrest you anytime they want to. If they don't have a reason, they will make one up. You just have to keep a low profile.

H

hmmbrdzz

picklesrus said:
She said I was asleep in the bathtub, I vagely remember that, I also remember her getting me to come down the stairs and me stumbling over an end table then lying down on the couch. I don't think I have any plans to sue her and I know her and she has never lied to me in 20 years. The drugs I were taking were prescribed for me and as far as I know I was taking them as prescribed. I may have forgotten and mixed something up by mistake but since when is it a crime to take your own prescriptions as prescribed or even make a dosage mistake? Most of the elderly would be in jail. I really not worried about what she did but the fact that I was taken to the ER by force and treated with out my permission. Their own doctor said I was rational, that's why I was sent to jail. The reason I refused treatment is because I knew the sleeping pill I had taken was short acting (half life of about 2 hours) and I would be okay. My wife just freaked.
My response: If you were taken to the ER by force, you have a valid complaint regarding what happened to you in that ER.
If you were taken by force, you should have been restrained in the ambulance and restrained upon admission to the ER.
It sounds like they were going to treat you anyhow because you were not capable of making your own decisions to refuse treatment at that time, and that the nurse was saying "we have got to treat you" (which she could have done), but to bite you?? That's unbelievable that a nurse would bite you! What were they (or rather the nurse) getting ready to do to you anyhow?
IV, by any chance? And how (and when) did the ER doctor conclude, after you had been admitted to the ER via a forced order, that you were "lucent"? After they restrained you? Iti makes no sense. What has an attorney told you?

hmmbrdzz

P

picklesrus

hmmbrdzz,

Those are some excellent points as I WAS restrained to the gurney not only with straps but a bed sheet. I think the nurse was going to put a bp cuff on me, it wasn't really clear at the time. She bit me because I grabbed her by the collar and I guess security wasn't coming fast enough and she didn't know what my further intentions were. I was in the ER about 5 and 1/2 hours and the doctor declared me lucent right before the cops took me to jail. The lawyer wanted me to get my med records from the hospital but they told me it wasn't their "policy" to give me a copy. Yes, it sounded like BS to both me and that lawyer. Since then he hasn't called me back and so I'm looking for someone that will give this the attention it deserves.

stephenk

"The reason I refused treatment is because I knew the sleeping pill I had taken was short acting (half life of about 2 hours) and I would be okay"

how do you know that since you admit you dont remember what you took or how much you took or what you mixed with the drugs?

In hindsight you can claim all sorts of things and rationalize why you shouldn't have been taken or treated. At the moment your wife called 911 did she know what you had taken, how much you had taken, what else you had taken with the drugs, or even if you were having a reaction to the drugs? Remember, you werent coherent or even knowing what was going on.

H

hmmbrdzz

picklesrus said:
hmmbrdzz,

Those are some excellent points as I WAS restrained to the gurney not only with straps but a bed sheet. I think the nurse was going to put a bp cuff on me, it wasn't really clear at the time. She bit me because I grabbed her by the collar and I guess security wasn't coming fast enough and she didn't know what my further intentions were. I was in the ER about 5 and 1/2 hours and the doctor declared me lucent right before the cops took me to jail. The lawyer wanted me to get my med records from the hospital but they told me it wasn't their "policy" to give me a copy. Yes, it sounded like BS to both me and that lawyer. Since then he hasn't called me back and so I'm looking for someone that will give this the attention it deserves.

My response: You have a legal right to all of your medical records and can get a copy upon request. Call the med records department of the hospital. They will instruct you how to get a copy. It normally requires you to go to medical records, sign a release, let them copy the chart, and then sign for receipt of it.

If you were incompetent upon admission to that ER (and you apparently were if they took you by force), the hospital had a duty to treat you regardless of your refusal. They also had a duty to ensure your safety while incompetent, and I think that is the big issue here. You were bitten by a nurse (yet had been deemed incompetent) and then you were arrested for assault. Anyone coming in the ED by force is normally violent. Any person going into 4 pt restraints normally spits at the staff. The hospital has a duty to properly restrain, and they have a duty to protect you.

If your story is as you say it is, I think charges of battery for grabbing this nurse and spitting are real far-fetched and that you should press the issue of the hospital not having properly restrained you (and on account of that, you should not have been bitten, arrested, or taken to jail).

Get your records, and do get back in touch with your attorney.

hmmbrdzz

P

picklesrus

I went through the hospital records procedure but they called be up a couple days later refusing saying their policy is to only give that information t my doctor or lawyer. I had a different lawyer contact me and said most likely he could get the case nolle prossed. Thanks for all your help.

H

hmmbrdzz

picklesrus said:
I went through the hospital records procedure but they called be up a couple days later refusing saying their policy is to only give that information t my doctor or lawyer. I had a different lawyer contact me and said most likely he could get the case nolle prossed. Thanks for all your help.

My response: Best of luck to, picklesrus (love that name!) I hope an attorney on your behalf will be able to succeed in this for you. That sounds like one bad ER! Nurse needs a muzzle! Hope all charges against you are dropped.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">