• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for crime in GA that occured in AL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Georgia.

I posted this last week, but there is a particular question I need answered.

Situation- My previous employer has filed charges against me for 'Theft by Deception >500'. I charged a laptop on a company charge account about six months ago. I rationalized it to myself at the time, but realize how stupid it was now.

Anyway, here's the catch- I made the purchase in Alabama. I don't think they know this. I am going to court on 4/26 and I have hired an attorney to represent me. Our first approach is going to be to offer them the money up front and see if the charges can be dropped. He has experience with the court I'm going to and says that has worked many times in the past for him there. It's basically up to them to accept or refuse.

Does the fact that the alleged 'crime' occured in another state have an impact on Georgia prosecuting the case? If so, that may be my ticket out.

Regardless of the outcome, I am going to pay them for the purchase. At least I can have a cleaner (not clean, though) conscience.

Thanks!

racer72

If both you and your employer are based in Georgia, the jurisdiction is correct. Where you made the purchase is irrelevent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">