• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with Crimes Against Intellectual Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trojan1337

I was charged for crimes against intellectual property for accessing an individuals account and modifying personal data (Information on a University account). I admitted to doing this in my statement, however I have a couple of questions about a possible defense.

1. I am being charged for a Class A Misdemeanor in a Municipal Court with Limited Jurisdiction. When I accessed this individuals account I was in another city in another county and not in the city whose court will be hearing this case (The claimant, univerisity, and myself all reside within that cities jurisdiction though). Since I commited the crime outside of the courts geographical jurisdiction does this mean they cannot hear the case, and the claim must be filed within another jurisdiction?

2. The individual whose account information I modified was the party who brought forth the charges, however is she the owner of the intellectual property or is it the University who actually owns the information since it resides on their database. In which case the University should be the party who should file the charges and not the individual.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">