• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with "Drive By Shooting"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WAplowgirl58

What is the name of your state? Washington, incedent happened in King County.
My 23 yr old son is in the United States Navy & one night when on leave some friends & himself went to a concert in Seattle. They stayed in the city after the concert instead of returning to base. At aprox. 2:00 a.m. my son (for only God knows why) shot off his 8mm two times when they were in a covered parking lot. There wasn't any cars (other than the one they were in) or people (other than a couple of his friends inside the vehicle with him) present at the time. An officer happen to be driving on the street outside of the covered parking lot & when he heard the shot, investigated. Which led to the arrest of my son. He was charged with a "Drive By Shooting". He was in jail 2 days, for their wasn't any bail set for him until he saw the Judge. At that time she set his bail & I was able to pay his bail so he would be released. At his court hearings he has had many of his higher ranking Navy officers asscourt him, as well as giving excellent word of him regarding his past actions, etc. Well anyway, my question is....

How do I go about him finding an attorney, a winning attorney that is, to represent him. He is & always has been stable, reliable, an outstanding citizen, etc. He was given an Court Appionted Attorney, but from what I've understood he can't do anything for him, like lesser charges, etc. My son is limited as far as funds, so is there any attorneys out there that might possibly take payments? My son regrets everything he did that night, drinking, then showing off by shooting his gun. I'm lost as to what to do. I'm really afraid for him. He's a really good kid, always has been. He's never been in any trouble, grad. from High School, enlisted in the US Navy, etc. I'm afraid that if he has to do any prison time that it will hurt him inside. I was also told by a neighbor that if he isn't happy with how his court appointed attorney is handling his case that he has the right to fire him & the court will appoint him another one. Is this true, & how does he go about doing that ? If anyone has any advice for me, please reply post here. Thank you so much for your time & my son thanks you also.
P.S. Please excuse all my mis-spelled words​

Last edited:

CdwJava

If he cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for him by the court. He CAN fire his attorney, but if it is part of a Public Defender's office, he would likely have the choice of either retaining his own counsel at that point or ASKING for another attorney. I do not believe they would be compelled to keep cycling through attorneys til they get one he likes. But, this all depends on WA state law and local policies.

If he wants choice, he needs to hire his own attorney.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

He was given an Court Appionted Attorney, but from what I've understood he can't do anything for him, like lesser charges, etc.

Not true. The public defenders are professionals. All they do is criminal work and they do it every day.

WAplowgirl58

Charged w/ "Drive By Shooting" Reply

Okay, well thank you so much for replying to my orignal post of questions. I reckon' the only thing to do now is Pray :(

I hate to be critical considering your obvious concern for your son. But he's 23 years old. He's an adult. He needs to take responsibility for his actions. He needs to be the one finding an attorney, working out what to do. Do you think possibly you're a bit too close to him? Maybe you've sheltered him too much?

The best thing my mother ever taught me was how to be independent, how to be responsible, how to take care of myself. Your concern over your son is great, but possibly you are too concerned, too involved with his life.

WAplowgirl58

My question is for Rhurab.....

Have u ever been in any trouble with the law, in jail, etc. & if u were, would'nt ur parents wanna help get any or all opitions out there to possibly help?

S

seniorjudge

WAplowgirl58 said:
My question is for Rhurab.....

Have u ever been in any trouble with the law, in jail, etc. & if u were, would'nt ur parents wanna help get any or all opitions out there to possibly help?
Please tell me under which statute number he was charged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">