• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savvy22

Hi, I was charged of Shoplifting at a Store where I had paid for one set of stuff that i purchased, before leaving the store i recalled buying sum more stuff, sum of which I forgetfully put into the bag carrying the previously purchased items and bills. Their camera noticed this and they said i was guilty of shoplifting, they called the police and asked me to pay double the price of the item that was unbilled & in my bag, I agreed for that but got very nervous and started crying. They also accused me of possessing other used stuff that I was carrying in my purse to have been shoplifted. However, the police arrived and questioned me, I admit that I picked the item but it was by an accident that I did not paid for it. Seeing me cry & nervous, they checked on my status & found that I was having enough money in my wallet to pay for the articles and agreed that I did it by accident. They asked me to write a paper admitting the same with my signature on it. The store authority banned me from entering their store for a year & later I received a paper from court stating that I was found guilty of 'shoplifting' and if I feel it is a wrong decision I should appeal against it in the court in some stipulated time (which I dont remember now as I tore the paper & threw it away..:(..) or otherwise I would stand guilty and the decision would stay in records for 2 yrs. and then will be taken off the record.

Now there are 3 questions I need to know:

1. What kind of offence it is: Criminal, Civil, Convicted?
2. What way can I get another copy of the court judgement (as I threw the one I received), as I have to fill in my Tier1 (PSW) visa application and need to mention the details of the court judgement?
3. Does the above have a negative bearing on getting a visa and also does it affects my chances of employment in UK or can I hide this in my job applications if it is a minor offence/ judgement?

Your reply would be of great help to me as it is getting me worried days & nights from all the above 3 respects. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

savvy22

Beacuse when I did.. the site was having a technical problem and redirecting me to nowhere. I think that was because I am from UK and not any US state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">