• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with Summary Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellysjelly

PA
I was involved in a very tumultuous relationship for 2 years, which ended ~1 year ago. I filed a PFA against him, & this summer he got into contact with me again. I engaged in contact with him for a short time, & told him that we had to end contact again. After a period of about two weeks, he started contacting me again. I repeatedly asked him to stop or I would report it to the police. He told me "go ahead, they won't believe you". I eventually reported it, he was arrested & charged with ICC. I kept getting blocked phone calls, but I didn't answer them, although I felt it was him. The day before the ICC hearing, he called me from a local number, & I answered. I told him not to call anymore, hung up, & immediately went to the police station to report it. He was arrested during the ICC hearing for the second violation. I was asked to leave the courtroom during the testimony of the defense's witnesses, & my exboyfriend's girlfriend made several statements that were overheard by the sheriff at the hearing. I was put into a small room, presumably to protect me from being verbally abused by the girlfriend, but I could hear the sheriff talking to the girlfriend through the wall. He told her that she was harassing a state's witness and she could be arrested, etc. My exboyfriend was convicted of the first ICC that day, & a hearing was scheduled for the second violation.

The next day, my exboyfriend and his new girlfriend filed summary harassment charges against me. I wasn't contacted by the police, I received the paperwork by mail about a week later. The police report simply says that I am harassing each of them, driving by their house, following them, repeatedly calling them. There is a reference to a previous police report from March, at which time the new girlfriend claimed I was repeatedly driving past his house, and that she jumped in the car & followed me, and got my license plate number. The police knocked on my door to question me about this incident, and I told them that I had no idea what they were talking about. We had had the PFA hearing that day.

I have NO idea what this is about. I have neither driven by his house, nor followed him or her. My cell phone records will indicate that I have never called her, and that I have had no contact with him since I asked him to stop contacting me. I feel like if anything, she has harassed me. Each time we have gone to court, she has snarled & grunted & made comments to me, and I have reacted not at all, I don't even look at her. There was an incident in November where she sat in the parking lot of my employer, which is a public place, for 2 hours. Not illegal, but certainly very concerning to myself. I didn't contact the police, but I alerted security at work. I just didn't want there to be an issue.

I feel like it's safe to assume that this is going to be based on their words, alone. The complaint was filed on a day & time when I was home with my teenage daughter & school age son. I worked until 5, picked my son up, drove home, cleaned up the house, ordered pizza at 6:45, drove to the pizza place with my son, realized I forgot my wallet, called my daughter, who met my car on the sidewalk to hand me my credit card, & I went back to the pizza place to get the pizza. Then I went home, no more phone calls that night. The complaint was filed at 7:30pm. I don't have the receipt for the pizza. The pizza place is 1.5 miles from my home, his home is 20 minutes away.

I volunteer in my son's kindergarten classroom, & I'm pretty sure that at this point I will no longer be able to, and I'm certain that I won't be able to if I were to be convicted of harassment.

I have no criminal history. I work, own a home, my children are successful in school. I feel like this is retaliation. How can this even HAPPEN?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">