• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charging second time DUI offender with Battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Becow13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was wondering how I could go about pressing a battery charge against someone who forcefully grabbed my arm in a painful manner and made life threats to another individual. This individual is currently facing probation with an ankle bracelet for up to a year as of monday for two DUI charges within a 5 year time period and was previously jailed for unknown resons (could be for the DUIs could be for something else). This individual lashed out unexpectantly at a bar, at which he was violating his probation rules on drinking AND driving since he drove himself there, and not only threateningly grabbed me but also made a threat to "rape you and kill you" to a male friend. Can anything be done to initiate a legal repurcussion for his actions without having a long, drawn out court trial and hiring a lawyer? Do I need a lawyer to file a restraining order on this individual so that he does not come near me or my friends?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was wondering how I could go about pressing a battery charge against someone who forcefully grabbed my arm in a painful manner and made life threats to another individual. This individual is currently facing probation with an ankle bracelet for up to a year as of monday for two DUI charges within a 5 year time period and was previously jailed for unknown resons (could be for the DUIs could be for something else). This individual lashed out unexpectantly at a bar, at which he was violating his probation rules on drinking AND driving since he drove himself there, and not only threateningly grabbed me but also made a threat to "rape you and kill you" to a male friend. Can anything be done to initiate a legal repurcussion for his actions without having a long, drawn out court trial and hiring a lawyer? Do I need a lawyer to file a restraining order on this individual so that he does not come near me or my friends?
**A: you can't.

SharpieGirl1010

you could...

you could make a police report but it probably wont be added to what the persons being charged with because he's already been sentenced but you could open a diffrent case
but Im not a lawyer so thats just an opinion

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sharpie -

I know you mean well, but please take some time to "lurk" and read and learn before you start offering advice...

With that said, I do agree with you. This battery should be reported to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">