• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tychels

NEBRASKA is where I live. my exgirlfriend went into my home while I was in jail, took a check of mine (took the duplicate too so I would not notice) made it out to herself for $500 dollars and a note for Rent and either her or someone else signed the check and she cashed it. We have not lived together for over a year, but we do have 2 kids. I am paid a year in advance on child support. Times before, I have loaned her money for rent but I always made it out to her landlord. The bank is looking into forgery and a kit is being sent to me. It is obvious I did not write this. I went to the County Sheriff and he told me it looks like a civil matter to him, he would look into it and get back to me in a week or two. He did not even make a report, or give me anything to sign. How can this be? All my reading says it is Forgery with fraud/larceny and maybe consipiricy which is a class III Felony. I HAVE NEVER GIVEN HER PERMISSION TO MY CHECK BOOK, OR APPROVAL TO HELP HERSELF TO A CHECK AND MY MONEY. WE HAVE NEVER BEEN MARRIED. Help!!!

Veronica1228

tychels said:
NEBRASKA is where I live. my exgirlfriend went into my home while I was in jail, took a check of mine (took the duplicate too so I would not notice) made it out to herself for $500 dollars and a note for Rent and either her or someone else signed the check and she cashed it. We have not lived together for over a year, but we do have 2 kids. I am paid a year in advance on child support. Times before, I have loaned her money for rent but I always made it out to her landlord. The bank is looking into forgery and a kit is being sent to me. It is obvious I did not write this. I went to the County Sheriff and he told me it looks like a civil matter to him, he would look into it and get back to me in a week or two. He did not even make a report, or give me anything to sign. How can this be? All my reading says it is Forgery with fraud/larceny and maybe consipiricy which is a class III Felony. I HAVE NEVER GIVEN HER PERMISSION TO MY CHECK BOOK, OR APPROVAL TO HELP HERSELF TO A CHECK AND MY MONEY. WE HAVE NEVER BEEN MARRIED. Help!!!
Help how? You have notified your bank and law enforcement. What do you think we can do?

tychels

How Can That Be A Civil Matter, Why When I Took It To The Law They Said It Was Civil? I Want To Know If It Is Civil Or Criminal. If Someone Makes A Charge Of Theft/forgery What Is The Precedure The Law Does? Do They Arrest Her Or Just Question Her? I Guess My Question Is>>> How Can That Be Civil?

Veronica1228

tychels said:
How Can That Be A Civil Matter, Why When I Took It To The Law They Said It Was Civil? I Want To Know If It Is Civil Or Criminal. If Someone Makes A Charge Of Theft/forgery What Is The Precedure The Law Does? Do They Arrest Her Or Just Question Her? I Guess My Question Is>>> How Can That Be Civil?
The decision to press charges or not is at the discretion of law enforcement or the D.A. If they decide it is a civil matter, then there is little you can do about it.

However, per your post, no decision has been made yet. Make it clear that you want to file charges against your ex. Hire an attorney if you think it would help. There is not much else that can be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">