• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amp42578

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a question. If someone tried to forge a personal check but the bank caught it before it was cashed, will that person face charges? The bank called the account holder and it was determined someone had forged the check, the signatures didnt match, thats what made the bank call the account holder. This person is a convicted felon and has been in trouble doing this years ago, but I dont believe he was ever convicted of it. The check was for $300, but like I said, never cashed. Any info you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

antrc170

Did the bank or account holder ever contact the authorities? If the police don't know then the DA won't know and nothing will happen. I suggest contacting the bank and asking if a criminal complaint was filed. If not, then file it yourself.

amp42578

The account holder is actually going to the bank to watch the video, Im going with her. We are pretty sure we knew who did it, but not positive til we see the tape. She said she would press charges. Im just wondering if jail time would be enforced since he is a convicted felon and has done this in the past. But, I didnt know if things would be different since no money was ever given to him.

antrc170

The sentence is up to the judge/jury so no one can say for sure. The charge would be the same regardless of whether he recieved the money. Forgery and Uttering are the two base charges.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a question. If someone tried to forge a personal check but the bank caught it before it was cashed, will that person face charges? The bank called the account holder and it was determined someone had forged the check, the signatures didnt match, thats what made the bank call the account holder. This person is a convicted felon and has been in trouble doing this years ago, but I dont believe he was ever convicted of it. The check was for $300, but like I said, never cashed. Any info you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
A crime was comitted even the criminal did not reach his/her goal getting cash. A police report should definitely be filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">