• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallaswynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Arkansas

My ex-girlfriend and I shared a joint account. Wanting to have a bank account that wasn't directly associated with me, I had her open her own account with $5g of our money. We got into a fight and I asked her to leave. She left and drained our account but left her check book for the seperate account. Being left without food or money, I wrote a check for cash and one for a vet bill on a pet we co-own; total amount was less than $200. Long story short, she had me charged with Class C Felony Forgery and drained our account again the day I got paid. (I am a disabled vet who has single monthly payments.)

I recently remembered she had written several checks and signed my name before she was placed as a signator on the account. Therefore, I had her charged as well. She gets upset but withdraws her complaint. I go speak to the PA and he informs me that since the bank paid her back, they would have to drop the charges. I asked for her statement and he gave me a copy.

My question is;

What would my defense be? What can I do? I don't want to hire an attorney because I don't think I am wrong and I like to do this sort of thing. I do, however, want to be very diligent with how I approach this since it is a felony charge.

Please Help!
Big D,
USMC

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Arkansas

My ex-girlfriend and I shared a joint account. Wanting to have a bank account that wasn't directly associated with me, I had her open her own account with $5g of our money. We got into a fight and I asked her to leave. She left and drained our account but left her check book for the seperate account. Being left without food or money, I wrote a check for cash and one for a vet bill on a pet we co-own; total amount was less than $200. Long story short, she had me charged with Class C Felony Forgery and drained our account again the day I got paid. (I am a disabled vet who has single monthly payments.)

I recently remembered she had written several checks and signed my name before she was placed as a signator on the account. Therefore, I had her charged as well. She gets upset but withdraws her complaint. I go speak to the PA and he informs me that since the bank paid her back, they would have to drop the charges. I asked for her statement and he gave me a copy.

My question is;

What would my defense be? What can I do? I don't want to hire an attorney because I don't think I am wrong and I like to do this sort of thing. I do, however, want to be very diligent with how I approach this since it is a felony charge.

Please Help!
Big D,
USMC
You don't have a defense. You broke the law. Congrats. You will most likely become a felon. You did not have permission to write checks on her account. You might be ex USMC but that doesn't mean you are honorable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Furthermore, if the ex had permission to write the checks she wrote, it's quite possible that SHE didn't break the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Her draining the account with HER name on it is not illegal either. Even if it was a joint account in which he deposited money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">