• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check forgery. statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyldrush

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida

My ex girlfriend in April took one of my checks and forged my name on it and paid her rent which was $1700. I found out right away on the day the check was posted to my bank account and the bank stopped payment to the management company.

I know it is now 6 months later and many things have happened. She has now sorta stolen $2850 from me. She was moving and needed money so I put in realtor escrow the funds. She did not move and the realtor released the funds to her which she cashed (may have recourse with realtor, despite he had a signed letter from me for the rent, it was for a particular unit and that contract fell through and I was told by her money was being returned to me which he did not do)

So now since she refused to give me the money back I want to now press charges on the check. (yes revenge in away, but she can rot in jail) On top of all this in June she used my checkcard for unauthorized purchases (again found out ASAP so never had to pay them) and again in July she used to it order her sister a pizza 3200 miles away (again did not pay)

I know , please do not give me the treatment about this crazy relationship. She is out of my life. I just want to know in FLorida can I now press charges against her for the check, even credit cards transaction. I never pressed charges before with bank.

LillianX

You need to sue her for the rent escrow money ASAP.

You can speak to the police about the check fraud thing. In fact, you SHOULD speak to them. You don't want her to continue this behavior in the future. The police will investigate, and if there is sufficient evidence, the prosecutor's office will charge her.

Wyldrush

You need to sue her for the rent escrow money ASAP.

You can speak to the police about the check fraud thing. In fact, you SHOULD speak to them. You don't want her to continue this behavior in the future. The police will investigate, and if there is sufficient evidence, the prosecutor's office will charge her.
I told her if she pays me back I let it all go but she says I am harrassing her. Sueing wont help. She has no money really but mine she took. No clue where she living, she does not have a place of her own, I know where she works though so police can arrest her there.

I guess i need to contact bank on copies of check since they removed it from online when WellsFargo took over Wachovia.

Not that I want to brand her for life with this but she has history of shop lifting when she was 18-20 I know. Why all the hot ones turn like this

Antigone*

I told her if she pays me back I let it all go but she says I am harrassing her. Sueing wont help. She has no money really but mine she took. No clue where she living, she does not have a place of her own, I know where she works though so police can arrest her there.

I guess i need to contact bank on copies of check since they removed it from online when WellsFargo took over Wachovia.

Not that I want to brand her for life with this but she has history of shop lifting when she was 18-20 I know. Why all the hot ones turn like this
Sure you can call the cops, but they won't run out and arrest her. It probably won't go further than a report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">