• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Fraud??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmroberts01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

A former business associate (and boyfriend) recently received and cashed a check that was made out to my business and intended as payment for an invoice I submitted.

Becuase my business address was the home address that we both shared, the check was delivered to the house and he did not tell me it had arrived. Instead, he took it to the bank, endorsed it with his name and cashed it.

I have a copy of the cancelled check from the company who sent it.

I want to know how I can get the money that is owed to me???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

A former business associate (and boyfriend) recently received and cashed a check that was made out to my business and intended as payment for an invoice I submitted.

Becuase my business address was the home address that we both shared, the check was delivered to the house and he did not tell me it had arrived. Instead, he took it to the bank, endorsed it with his name and cashed it.

Is this "former business associate" a part of the business at all?

Antigone*

California

If this boyfriend (I hope you dumped him) is not an owner of the company along with you then you can call the company that issued you the check and inform them that you never got benefit of the check.

This company will file a check fraud claim with their bank and reimburse them. the BOFD (bank of first deposit) has the responsiblity to assure that the payee and the person cashing the check are one in the same.

Also file a police report and give this to the company filing the fraud claim as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">