• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check fraud(family)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sedain

What is the name of your state? MI

background:
i ended up doing truck driving for a year to save money for college which was over the road,i was gone most of the time between march 05 until july 06,at most home 5 days out of a month. during this time my parents were as they always have been (bad with money)..

my mom found my checkbooks and occasionally wrote checks for usually small amounts usually between 30-100$ for groceries, 95% of the time without my consent..i was making good money and it didn't concern me to much..i wasn't about to call the police on her at the time. the real problem is that they ended up weaseling me into letting them borrow larger amounts (900$ for insurance) 400 for mortgage payments a few times...about 1.5k worth of car repairs...(i rationalized it as they are family and family is important,i want to help them etc...it was spread out over the last year,not all at once obviously...)

currently they are trying to say they wont pay me back. i live with them (they are trying to say if i were being charged rent over the past few years it would negate how much they owe me).which is pretty bogus considering the fact that they never talked to me about paying rent, they told me point blank we will pay you back...it boils my blood...

i don't see myself getting most of my money back but i want to know about check fraud because i have around 50 checks that i can see when logging into online banking that are obviously forged checks signed by my mom. (over 3k worth of groceries and misc items/cash,all forged signatures)*i was out of state when these checks were written

i would let it go if they would just agree to pay me a small amount a month or something,as far as im concerned they are taking advantage of me and they obviously don't care that i am going to college and their obviously not concerned about helping me at all,i would/could of bought my own place(and obviously should of)...i want something to happen and if sending my mom to jail is all i can do over 6k lost..then i have no problem with that because i am not letting this go,(somethings going to happen).

some of it they did ask for permission on,the vast majority of it,not so...i want info on check fraud and if i have a case against my mom having given her permission to write a few of those checks and if she would be liable to pay me back if i were to press criminal charges against her...(or if it sounds like i could win in small claims court *i don't have any signed contracts or anything)..

i'm just looking for info currently, i plan on talking to them more before i do something like that...i'm just really mad right now...

Last edited:

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? MI

backround:
i ended up doing truck driving for a year to save money for college which was over the road,i was gone most of the time between march 05 until july 06,at most home 5 days a week out of a month,in july. during this time my parents were as they always have been (bad with money)..

my mom found my checkbooks and occasionally wrote checks for usually small amounts usually between 30-100$ for groceries, 95% of the time without my consent..i was making good money and it didnt concern me to much..i wasnt about to call the police on her at the time. the real problem is that they ended up weasling me into letting them borrow larger amounts (900$ for insurance) 400 for mortgage payments a few times...about 1.5k worth of car repairs...(i rationalized it as they are family and family is important,i want to help them etc...it was spread out over the last year,not all at once obviously...)

currently they are trying to say they wont pay me back. i live with them (they are trying to say if i were being charged rent over the past few years it would negate how much they owe me).which is pretty bogus considering the fact that they never talked to me about paying rent, they told me point blank we will pay you back...it boils my blood...

i dont see myself getting most of my money back but i want to know about check fraud because i have around 50 checks that i can see when logging into online banking that are obviously forged checks signed by my mom. (over 3k worth of groceries and misc items/cash,all forged signatures)*i was out of state when these checks were written

i would let it go if they would just agree to pay me a small amount a month or something,as far as im concerned they are taking advantage of me and they obviously dont care that i am going to college and their obviously not concerned about helping me at all,i would/could of bought my own place(and obviously should of)...i want something to happen and if sending my mom to jail is all i can do over 6k lost..then i have no problem with that because i am not letting this go,(somethings going to happen).

some of it they did ask for permission on,the vast majority of it,not so...i want info on check fraud and if i have a case against my mom having given her permission to write a few of those checks and if she would be liable to pay me back if i were to press criminal charges against her...(or if it sounds like i could win in small claims court *i dont have any signed contracts or anything)..
If you don't care about your mother being arrested for forgery, then go to the police and file a complaint. Close that bank account if you have not done so.

sedain

If you don't care about your mother being arrested for forgery, then go to the police and file a complaint. Close that bank account if you have not done so.
i really dont want to,i sorta knew that alrdy..i am obviously very mad but im not at THAT point yet

she never had access to my account and she used all of the checks(i obviously am not ordering more). should i still close the account?

ill post this in small claims and see if i can get any info there...

BlondiePB

i really dont want to,i sorta knew that alrdy..i am obviously very mad but im not at THAT point yet

she never had access to my account and she used all of the checks(i obviously am not ordering more). should i still close the account?

ill post this in small claims and see if i can get any info there...
Double posting is annoying.

CLOSE THAT CHECKING ACCOUNT!!!!!!

CdwJava

sedain said:
Then apparently you don't want to charge her. You can either yell and stomp your feet, or you can proceed to small claims court and sue her for the money.

If you go to small claims, ask yourself this: How much will I lose when I get kicked out of their house?

Will the settlement pay you back for the cost of rent and other bills you will incur in the future as a result? If the answer is "no" (or that they do not have the means to pay you back) then you should seriously consider closing the account and moving it.

Yes. SHE could order new checks on your behalf. And if she was truly sinister, she could print them on a computer using your account info. She can also use your account info to pay for things on-line using an e-check.

Here's what you do: Close the account and have it transferred into a new one. Do NOT have the bank info mailed to your home - open a PO Box and have the bank transactions mailed there. That way she can't get a copy of your statement and get the info she needs from it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">