• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check Fraud-restitution made. Still arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indyscared

I am in Indiana. I sold products for a home based business and endorsed a check made out to the company name (not me) to place a customer order. I deposited the money in my account ($428.90), but forgot to place the order. 4 weeks later, The customer called the police saying that I stole her check and they froze my bank account. I authorized giving the money to the customer after explaining the situation to the bank. With the customer's approval, the bank did so. The customer then called me to let me know that she had called the police to tell them the problem was resolved and they told her that it was too late because paperwork had already left their desk requesting an arrest warrant. Can I be arrested although restitution has been made? What should I do from here? I have paperwork from the bank verifying that she was repaid. I've never been arrested before and I have 3 small children--I'm very worried!

Last edited:

calatty

Yes, you can still be arrested. Whether you paid restitution or not does not affect whether criminal charges are filed. If anything, paying restitution is an admission of guilt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">