• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tdreamin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas.
In 2004 my checkbook was stolen with a full book of check along with my drivers license. Since that time numerous checks have been written on a closed acount. I called the bank within 30 minutes of the theft. I called the police and reported the theft as well. I am still getting letters from businesses that checks are being written on that account.
Funny thing is the another name has been added above mine on the checks and the font is different. Why would a place accept such a check. I have contacted the police department in the city it was taken in twice since then. Their response is if the bank aint worried about it we aint. But I can not write checks at many locations because my name was forged on first 15 checks. any suggestions on how to find this brave lucky thief. Last total was over $7000.

CraigFL

First, I think I would change my name on the checks to "F. Middlename Lastname" using a totally different Bank and acct number for them. Hopefully, this would allow you to cash your own checks without showing up on the "hot" list.

I've found that people passing worthless checks don't get much investigative time by the police because there are many higher priorities. But... for a business to procecute someone for a worthless check -- either small claims or felony with the district/state attorney(depends on the locality), they must, at the time of accepting the check, get the proper ID and information which they usually write on the check. So if one was looking for the thief, one should start with the bad check.....:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">