• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheer coach sends sexual message

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wamellis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My daughter attended High School cheer camp this summer. The coaches take all the girls phone before the girls are to go to bed. My daughter did not realize she should take the battery out so the coaches cannot use the phone! The next day she noticed messages were sent to a boy, in her directory, saying sexual things. One of the senior girls told her that she was in the coaches room with the rest of the seniors when the messages were sent to the boy. Should I report this behavior? Is this illegal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My daughter attended High School cheer camp this summer. The coaches take all the girls phone before the girls are to go to bed. My daughter did not realize she should take the battery out so the coaches cannot use the phone! The next day she noticed messages were sent to a boy, in her directory, saying sexual things. One of the senior girls told her that she was in the coaches room with the rest of the seniors when the messages were sent to the boy. Should I report this behavior? Is this illegal?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Mmm-hmmmm.

Last summer? What has taken so long to discuss this? :rolleyes:

What are the odds it's MUCH more likely that (if any of this happened) one of the senior students sent the message/s? ;)

What was the result of the messages?

wamellis

Because this team is a state champ team and my daughter is new to the team, I was afraid she would receive retaliation from the coaches and the cheerleaders if we spoke up. This team is like a Lifetime movie with crazy coaches. I don't belive it matters who actually typed the messages. The phone was in the possession of the coaches. They either did it themselves or allowed one of the senior girls to do it. It was numerours messages. The coaches are the supervising adults.

Silverplum

Because this team is a state champ team and my daughter is new to the team, I was afraid she would receive retaliation from the coaches and the cheerleaders if we spoke up. This team is like a Lifetime movie with crazy coaches. I don't belive it matters who actually typed the messages. The phone was in the possession of the coaches. They either did it themselves or allowed one of the senior girls to do it. It was numerours messages. The coaches are the supervising adults.
Mmmm-hmmmm.

justalayman

do you even have these messages still on her phone?

and yes, it could make a lot of difference who typed the message but that would depend on what was sent and to whom plus a lot of other info we don't have.

since this was not important enough to do anything about it then, why would anybody really care about it now?

wamellis

I'm trying to find out if this falls under the "sexting" laws that are out there? was a criminal act committed? The boy did respond but he had a sneaky suspicion the texts did not come from my daughter because she has never sent him texts of sexual content. Therefore, he did not write back anything of a sexual nature.

Silverplum

I'm trying to find out if this falls under the "sexting" laws that are out there? was a criminal act committed? The boy did respond but he had a sneaky suspicion the texts did not come from my daughter because she has never sent him texts of sexual content. Therefore, he did not write back anything of a sexual nature.
Last summer, right?

wamellis

I had two meetings with the coaches to discuss their behavior but bad behavior continues (bullying, yelling, humiliation, etc) so now I feel it is time to go to the athletic director. I appreciate all comments!!

HomeGuru

**A: oh brother. That is a poor excuse for waiting to report.

wamellis

i have a copy of the texting log that shows messages going out at the time the phone was in possession of the coaches. The boy says he will testify to what they said.

Silverplum

I had two meetings with the coaches to discuss their behavior but bad behavior continues (bullying, yelling, humiliation, etc) so now I feel it is time to go to the athletic director. I appreciate all comments!!
What does the "bad behavior" have to do with the supposed texting? Whose bad behavior?
This happened in August 2009.
What did the police say when you and your daughter made a report in August 2009?
i have a copy of the texting log that shows messages going out at the time the phone was in possession of the coaches. The boy says he will testify to what they said.
Who provided the "texting log" and does it also show the texts themselves?

Who will testify that the coach/es typed and sent the message/s?

steel9

Summer 2010 isnt far off. If it happens again then you report it. You best have 100% proof though or else the school year will be very tough for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">