• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CHILD ABUSE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamalot

In December of 1999, my nephew who was 6 at the time, told me that his older brother,15, byn was sexually molesting him. He said that he would fondle his genitals and rub his butt. He also stated that he would do the same to his baby brother. I immediatedly called the County Sheriff in the city of Carson, California. After several hours, they told me to send my nephew home because the case was out of their jurisdiction. I was livid. I then suggested to my sister to allow my younger nephew to live with me until he was able to proetect himself or until his older brother moved out. The younger nephew lived with for nine months until recently, when his mother decided that she did not believe him and insisted that he come home. I have reported the incidents to Child Protective Services in Kern County and Los Angeles County. However, my nephew is still in the home and the oldest nephew has not received any counseling or either one removed from the home. Sexual molestation of a minor is a crime, even when the perpetrator is a minor and a family member. Shouldn't someone be removed from the home? What legal options are available to a six year old, who can not defend himself?

L

Leigha4

Hi,
This is a tough and delicate subject. I know this first hand. My son is 13 now but at the time he did what he did to his cousin he was 11 and it was last year March 1999. It was a boy cousin and it was my nieces little boy. The child was six years old. The state was New Jersey. I had my son arrested. He lived with his father when the incident happened. The state did an in home investigation into my ex-husband and his wife, and it's still going on. My son was put under the care of social services and they put him in a day camp which shouldn't have been done, but was. He verbally, sexually assualted a little girl for a week there, and was arrested again, only this time was put in a juvenile detention center from july 1999 to sept. 1999, then on sept. 8, 1999, was placed in an out of home placement facility until sept. 2001. He is registered under Megans Law, and now the state is trying to figure out what to do with him apon his release. They haven't figured it out yet. I can't take him because I live in Tennessee and Tennessee won't take the responsibility of another sex offender. No matter what his age is.
My suggestion to you is try to have the child arrested, then if that doesn't work petition the courts to do something. But you can go and file a complaint with your local police department or state police and have the child arrested. Then if he is arrested, social services has to get involved. They have no choice. The courts and social services have to provide counseling to the 6 year old. My little nephew, the child that was violated, was administered counseling, but the child decided to block it out, and the councelor suggested to the mother that because he is so young, in time he will either forget, or will come around and ask for the help when he is ready. The child is just not ready right now. But needless to say my son is a very sick person, and my nephew is doing just fine. He will be ok. As for my son, I really don't feel there is any help for him. But we are working on it. I am working on the state of New Jersey to retain him in a facility until he is rehabilitated. I don't know if it will work, but I am trying. I pay child support, gladly to the state, for him. But my ex-husband doesn't feel he should have to pay. What a joke he is. He is responsible for the child doing what he did. Because it wasn't the first time this happened, it was the 4th time. It was just the first time my son got caught. And we found out my ex-husband and his wife knew what the child had been doing and what he was capable of. But still didn't do anything. I pushed the issue for Megans Law for everyone's safety. My ex didn't want that because under the act, your neighbors have to be notified. Poor baby! I made him face up to his responsibilities as a father, and as a result, my son hates me now. But, that was a chance that I had to take. I love my son and always will, but he did what he did, and is what he is. And untill he admits to it, he will never be right for society.
I wish you luck in your situation. I thought my story might help you, in letting you know your not alone.
Good luck,
Leigha

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">