• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsmith82

What is the name of your state? MD

I am a teacher that was investigated for an inappropriate relationship with a student. The student's age at the time was 17. Her friends thought something was going on and reported to another teacher. I was questioned by the school system and the student was questioned, they found that the allegations were false. I was never contacted by the police.

My question is if I were seen in public after I no longer worked for the school system and the student is over 18 could I be charged with child abuse? or any other criminal act? A friend of mine said that there is no statue of limitations on child abuse and being together would be proof that the allegations were true.

Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Joshua S.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? MD

I am a teacher that was investigated for an inappropriate relationship with a student. The student's age at the time was 17. Her friends thought something was going on and reported to another teacher. I was questioned by the school system and the student was questioned, they found that the allegations were false. I was never contacted by the police.

My question is if I were seen in public after I no longer worked for the school system and the student is over 18 could I be charged with child abuse? or any other criminal act? A friend of mine said that there is no statue of limitations on child abuse and being together would be proof that the allegations were true.

Thank you,

Joshua S.
your post makes no sense. I am assuming that what you meant to say, was that "if I were seen in public, WITH THE GIRL".

Unless you went to trial, no one found that the "allegations were false", they just didn't have enough evidence. Please by all means, give them some, since obviously, you did in fact have a relationship with this CHILD and you certainly should get what you deserve. I am sure that others will be along to help you as well.

mommyof4

So, what you meant to say was that you skated by and got lucky because there was not enough evidence to support the factual allegations at that time. However, now that she is 18, you are hoping that it will have no negative reprecussions if you openly and publicly engage in a relationship with the young woman. Uh-huh...good plan and please, I am begging you, get out of education. The school room is not an appropriate pick up scene.

In answer to your question, you better hope you never piss her off (or anybody else that has ANY knowledge of your illegal "relationship"). You are nowhere near the SOL, mainly because MD HAS no statute of limitations for child hood abuse or sexual assault. Yeah...how nice for you. This will hang over you for the rest of her life.

panzertanker

How about one other possible situation?
(I am trying to think positively so I don't get too upset about this jerk abusing his position of authority...)

He liked her, she liked him.
They flirted but nothing happened.
Friends think it is weird so they report.
Findings are truthful: no relationship.
He quits.
She turns 18.
They act upon earlier flirtation....

Just Blue

How about one other possible situation?
(I am trying to think positively so I don't get too upset about this jerk abusing his position of authority...)

He liked her, she liked him.
They flirted but nothing happened.
Friends think it is weird so they report.
Findings are truthful: no relationship.
He quits.
She turns 18.
They act upon earlier flirtation....
Hey Pantzer...I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you!! :p

outonbail

Since you wish to have relationships with your students outside of the classroom, why not teach adult education?
Then you won't have to post questions you already know the answer to. Or should know he answer to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">