• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child victim of credit card fraud!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Esimon1

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Just curious-
If anyone knows Ohio law, please respond. My 7 year old stepdaughter is a victim of credit fraud. It was her own mother that opened various credit accounts, using the child's name, & ss#, and listed child's year of birth as 1979, instead of 1996. Mother has a prior felony conviction for 3 counts forgery, and theft in Office. (She was forging people's parking/speeding violation tickets while working for the deputy clerk's office). Her probation for that crime ended January 2004. She, unbeknownst to us, has opened these credit accounts in her child's name, and racked up appr.$3,000.00 (so far). We have yet to find out more through other banks/companies. Mother is authorized user on all accounts. We have sent her birth certificate copies, and police reports to 3 major credit bureaus.
My question- will she actually serve time this time, or will she get another "slap on the probationary wrist"?
Just wondering.

E

Esimon1

this is strange. I posted another reply to this one, and it wasn't posted. hopefully someone can fix whatever is wrong here.

JETX

"will she actually serve time this time, or will she get another "slap on the probationary wrist"?"
*** Simply, no one can predict what punishment might be rendered by the courts.
However, the amount of punishment is really irrelevant. A responsible party (parent) needs to contact the police and let them know what is happening.

E

Esimon1

Hubby did contact the police. He filed report around 5pm that day. Showed them the birth certificate/ss#, and collections notice.
I'm just wondering whether or repeat offender for a felony could get probation twice. She already stole/forged from strangers, and now, her own child. We are talking almost $10,000. (since we just got child's credit report last night).
I did hear the comment that courts are coming down harder on credit theft/Identity fraud, than they are on drug offenders. Not sure how true, but perhaps this is more serious than hubby & I think it is.

JETX

"I'm just wondering whether or repeat offender for a felony could get probation twice."
*** Less likely, but again, no one on this forum can answer this for you. There are simply too many variables.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">