• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's father facing Aggravated Battery Charges, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aiden_Jay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana - St. Tammany Parish

My kids father was just arrested for Aggravated battery against me this weekend. I am 9 months pregnant and due to deliver next week. He was drunk and angry, he didn’t hit the baby but he hit me with some items around the house. His bond is $20,000 to get out he has been to jail for domestic violence in May 2009 2 counts 1 against a 9 month pregnant woman and 1 against her daughter his bond was $100,000. However, he only served 2 months by pleading guilty and then was released. Previous to that he had a girl in which whom he abused in 2007 in another state but I don’t know if she pressed charges on him for DV, I only saw the statement where she pressed charges regarding him flattening her tires.

I still do love him, and I don’t hate him at all he is the father of my children and I do forgive him but obviously he has a problem like antisocial personality disorder and I would like the request that the judge orders him to counseling while serving jail time or community service.

My questions are:
How much time do you think he will get for aggravated battery?
How do I go about talking to the judge or D.A. about treatment for him?
We are in the state of Louisiana – St. Tammany Parish

***ETA*** YES I DO FORGIVE HIM BUT I NEVER SAID THAT I WOULD TAKE HIM BACK!!!
HOWEVER, I DO BELIEVE THAT HE HAS A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH "WHILE" HE IS SERVING JAIL TIME. OTHERWISE, JAIL TIME WILL DO HIM NO GOOD, NO MATTER HOW LONG HIS SENTENCE IS. ABUSERS ARE ALSO VICTIMS TOO EVEN IF IT IS IN THEIR OWN TWISTED MIND.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana - St. Tammany Parish

My kids father was just arrested for Aggravated battery against me this weekend. I am 9 months pregnant and due to deliver next week. He was drunk and angry, he didn’t hit the baby but he hit me with some items around the house. His bond is $20,000 to get out he has been to jail for domestic violence in May 2009 2 counts 1 against a 9 month pregnant woman and 1 against her daughter his bond was $100,000. However, he only served 2 months by pleading guilty and then was released. Previous to that he had a girl in which whom he abused in 2007 in another state but I don’t know if she pressed charges on him for DV, I only saw the statement where she pressed charges regarding him flattening her tires.

I still do love him, and I don’t hate him at all he is the father of my children and I do forgive him but obviously he has a problem like antisocial personality disorder and I would like the request that the judge orders him to counseling while serving jail time or community service.

My questions are:
We are in the state of Louisiana – St. Tammany Parish
Lady, you don't need legal help. You need mental help.

You might also think about allowing this violent man around your children.

Aiden_Jay

I didn't ask for your stupid @ss judgment and criticism. I asked 2 questions. I never said that I was going back to him but obviously jail hasn't help him before, there is nothing wrong with still having compassion for a person who offended you, He needs help.

Antigone*

I didn't ask for your stupid @ss judgment and criticism. I asked 2 questions. I never said that I was going back to him but obviously jail hasn't help him before, there is nothing wrong with still having compassion for a person who offended you, He needs help.
Help you cannot provide, especially since you have children that you need to protect.

You asked for next steps ~ there are no legal steps for you to take.

CdwJava

My kids father was just arrested for Aggravated battery against me this weekend. I am 9 months pregnant and due to deliver next week. He was drunk and angry, he didn’t hit the baby but he hit me with some items around the house.
That somehow makes it better? That he hit you everywhere else but in the belly?? :eek:

What if you had been holding the newborn? What if he gets drunk and angry again?

You do realize that this sort of behavior is rarely isolated, right? If it happened once, it will almost certainly happen again ... and again ... and again. Until intervention occurs, it will continue and will likely become more frequent.

His bond is $20,000 to get out he has been to jail for domestic violence in May 2009 2 counts 1 against a 9 month pregnant woman and 1 against her daughter his bond was $100,000.
Ah, so he already HAS a history. Grand fellow. Apparently he is a slow learner and likes to beat on helpless pregnant women.

However, he only served 2 months by pleading guilty and then was released. Previous to that he had a girl in which whom he abused in 2007 in another state but I don’t know if she pressed charges on him for DV, I only saw the statement where she pressed charges regarding him flattening her tires.
Dear God! Please tell me you are not considering going back to this thug?!?

I still do love him, and I don’t hate him at all
:confused: You would seem to be the poster child for domestic violence. I can only hope that if you choose to allow this thug back in your life that child services intervenes to protect your child(ren) by taking them into protective custody.

he is the father of my children and I do forgive him but obviously he has a problem like antisocial personality disorder and I would like the request that the judge orders him to counseling while serving jail time or community service.
So ... you want him back in your life and the life of your child(ren) while he is still a danger?

As a repeat offender, potentially quite a lot.

Specifically, what statute(s) has been charged? We would also need to know prior criminal history (convictions) to have some idea what he could be sentenced to.

You will probably not be permitted to speak to a judge until sentencing. You can always ask the DA, but if you are alleging a psychological disorder your baby-daddy's attorney would have to agree to the evaluation and that might not be in his client's best interest ... depending on the circumstances. It's likely that he has no such disorder and the admissions he might make in such an evaluation can be used against him, so unless HIS attorney suggests such an evaluation, I suspect it will be opposed by defense counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">