• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation for Class B Misdemeanor (Violation of Public Area Closure)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elalendi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyomming (where citation occurred)

Hello,
My friends and I were vacationing in Yellowstone National Park and entered a trail that was closed for construction, after hearing a woman say on the previous day that she got to the overlook on the same trail. We didn't get very far (just a minute into the trail) before the rangers caught us. The ranger had us go back to the car, and he wrote us a citation "Class B misdemeanor, violation of public area closure." Our court date is next month, but the ranger said we can call ahead of time to schedule a phone hearing with our prosecutor. When I asked the ranger if I needed to report this to my school he said I didn't need to for "this petty thing." We are university students on the East Coast, and none of us have a criminal record. How bad is our situation? The citation is very scary as it says a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail. I would really like to avoid having to hire a defense attorney.

Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyomming (where citation occurred)

Hello,
My friends and I were vacationing in Yellowstone National Park and entered a trail that was closed for construction, after hearing a woman say on the previous day that she got to the overlook on the same trail. We didn't get very far (just a minute into the trail) before the rangers caught us. The ranger had us go back to the car, and he wrote us a citation "Class B misdemeanor, violation of public area closure." Our court date is next month, but the ranger said we can call ahead of time to schedule a phone hearing with our prosecutor. When I asked the ranger if I needed to report this to my school he said I didn't need to for "this petty thing." We are university students on the East Coast, and none of us have a criminal record. How bad is our situation? The citation is very scary as it says a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail. I would really like to avoid having to hire a defense attorney.

Thank you!
The ranger really has no clue whether or not you should "report" this to your school, and I don't know why he would have said otherwise. You are accused of a crime. You may wish to, at the very least, consult with a Wyoming attorney about this matter. You should also study your school's requirements.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Folks always wait until after they get caught before they worry about the consequences of doing things they are not supposed to.

:rolleyes:

elalendi

yeah dude... never doing something this stupid again... T_T

Ok I'll look call a criminal defense lawyer in WY about a consultation. Some seem to have free consultations so that's definitely worth a try.

sansuk

Happened to us too

The same thing happened to us too. Could I please know what was the consequence of it? We are really scared about this!

quincy

The same thing happened to us too. Could I please know what was the consequence of it? We are really scared about this!
Please start your own thread and be sure to include the name of your state.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">