• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation issued 714.2 (2) theft in the 2nd degree class C felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandy3726

Iowa. Earlier this year I wrecked my van and had made arrangements for the salvage yard to tow it away. A person I knew asked if he could buy the vehicle for the purpose of fixing the damages and driving it. This person is currently incarcerated and I haven't spoke to him since several months before he was arrested. I was contacted by a lady I have talked to several times in the past and she told me that her mother who works for or runs a car lot was wanting to get the vehicle out of the man's father's yard; a farm with a lot of other vehicles and junk everywhere. I know the man and I figured he had a conversation with this lady's mother and wanted her to remove it from the property. She had her daughter call me several times because she wanted me to apply for a duplicate title so that I could then sell the van to her. The man I sold it to had never registered the vehicle and I call the department of motor vehicles inquiring if the van was still in my name. I ordered the duplicate title, signed it and gave it to the mother. I did not think to consult with a lawyer or anyone else because I figured that if she worked for a car lot she was aware of the law. Case in point, my own mother knew what was going on and she too had no idea that what I had done was against the law.I was approached by a Sheriff and he showed me the old title (copy) with my signature as seller but the buyer information was blank. I explained to him and in my written statement that I was unaware that I was breaking any laws and had I known I most certainly not have participated. He went on to tell me that I was involved in a conspiracy with this woman I didn't know, but knew her daughter as I had mentioned earlier. I had absolutely no reason to believe, especially with the mother working in or with a car dealership that I was being misled. Perhaps she didn't even know the specific law. Anyhow, I have no prior record of theft of any kind. Looking through the Iowa Code I found a provision for Ignorance of the law and am wondering if that is my only chance or if it isn't a chance at all. I am a junior in college majoring in Information Technology. I had hoped to graduate and get a job making good money. If convicted, I will only be able to get a menial job paying next to nothing...certainly not enough to live on. I am very scared and stressed out over this. I have completed an application for appointed counsel and will have it turned into the court tomorrow (July 1st). My court date is July 12th and I was hoping that I would have been appointed a lawyer to be with me at my first appearance. Meanwhile, I have no idea what is going to happen to me. Please help if you possibly can. Thank you, Sandy Hainline

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">