• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation for obstructing a peace officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

losttrail1

I live in Montana and was at a party last night that got busted. me and another kid ran out the back door without any cops seeing my face.We were chased until we split up and I actually managed to get away but the other kid was caught. he was interrogated and he said that the other person running was me. later that night the cops came to my house and issued me a citation for obstructing a peace officer. I had admitted to being at the party but said that I had left prior to the cops showing up. Can I be convicted just because one kid (who was under the influence of drugs and alcohol) claimed it was me who ran even though i wasnt caught and the cops couldnt see who I was?

cyjeff

Court are made up of people.

Anything can happen.

However, you would not be the first person convicted in this manner... most cases are decided upon circumstantial evidence.

losttrail1

Dont they need some sort of evidence? proof that it was in fact me? any advice reguarding how I should state my case? I have no criminal record at all. the kid who dropped my name has been to jail many times and was on house arrest when this occured. Does that mean anything?

CdwJava

Dont they need some sort of evidence? proof that it was in fact me? any advice reguarding how I should state my case? I have no criminal record at all. the kid who dropped my name has been to jail many times and was on house arrest when this occured. Does that mean anything?
Your attorney can certainly try to attack the kid's credibility. Maybe you will prevail... maybe not.

Of course, the cost of an attorney may be much greater than the fine for the offense, but that's a decision you will have to weigh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">