• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cited For Theft (Petty?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbinaz

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was cited in Home Depot yesterday for putting Roundup into a cheaper brand of weed killer's bottle, then paying the cheaper price. I was cited by the police for Misdemeanor Theft (petty?) and have a court date next week.

I was just looking to make things "even" because I had bought the cheaper brand stuff there a couple of weeks before but it was weak and didn't kill weeds and when I went back to the store they wouldn't refund it and then when I went to get the better stuff, I saw an empty container of the same cheap stuff next to the Roundup, so I opened the Roundup and poured it into the other container, and the rest you know. I had the money for the Roundup but did it on "principle". I even think I was kind of setup as the store security guy who caught me was training 2 new people who had just started and the cheaper container used was sitting on the shelf empty with the lid off.

So, anyway, what am I looking at, sentence wise, anyone know? I have never shoplifted or anything like it before.
What is really scaring me is this: 4 years ago I was convicted of a felony count of extortion in another state having to do with an ex-employer (didn't extort money-threatend to mess up a lawsuit they had at the time). I served 2 months in jail and had a 3 year probation which was served without incident. Jail was NO FUN, and now I am afraid it will be used against me and I will have to go back which would really ruin my life, for real.

I can't believe I did such a dumb thing-again, even. Wife, kids, etc. No brains.

Should I pay a lot of money and hire an attorney over a less than $50 thing? Or go to a public defender because I really cannot afford one? Or represent myself? Or plead guilty or ???

HomeGuru

jbinaz said:

I was cited in Home Depot yesterday for putting Roundup into a cheaper brand of weed killer's bottle, then paying the cheaper price. I was cited by the police for Misdemeanor Theft (petty?) and have a court date next week.

**A: ok, got it thus far.
I was just looking to make things "even" because I had bought the cheaper brand stuff there a couple of weeks before but it was weak and didn't kill weeds and when I went back to the store they wouldn't refund it and then when I went to get the better stuff, I saw an empty container of the same cheap stuff next to the Roundup, so I opened the Roundup and poured it into the other container, and the rest you know. I had the money for the Roundup but did it on "principle".

**A: good excuse but weed on. Sorry, it does not fly.

I even think I was kind of setup as the store security guy who caught me was training 2 new people who had just started and the cheaper container used was sitting on the shelf empty with the lid off.

**A: oh, the old weed killer entrapment theory.

So, anyway, what am I looking at, sentence wise, anyone know? I have never shoplifted or anything like it before.
What is really scaring me is this: 4 years ago I was convicted of a felony count of extortion in another state having to do with an ex-employer (didn't extort money-threatend to mess up a lawsuit they had at the time). I served 2 months in jail and had a 3 year probation which was served without incident. Jail was NO FUN, and now I am afraid it will be used against me and I will have to go back which would really ruin my life, for real.

I can't believe I did such a dumb thing-again, even. Wife, kids, etc. No brains.

Should I pay a lot of money and hire an attorney over a less than $50 thing? Or go to a public defender because I really cannot afford one? Or represent myself? Or plead guilty or ???

**A: your choice. Oh yeah, you don't make wise choices.

H

hexeliebe

If you lived in Tombstone you could always tell the judge you're a decendent of Wyatt Earp and thought this was the last 'Roundup'.

J

jbinaz

Do You Think It Really Helps?

You reply to me with smart-ass disdain, etc. Do you think that really helps? Is that why you joined this website, so that you can put down people who have obviously made a mistake and are looking for answers/help?

Your only real reply to the questions asked was "Your choice".

Wow, gee, thanks (not).

I was not making excuses. I stated the circumstances. I already admitted that it was a stupid thing to do and now I am scared.

HomeGuru

Re: Do You Think It Really Helps?

jbinaz said:
You reply to me with smart-ass disdain, etc. Do you think that really helps? Is that why you joined this website, so that you can put down people who have obviously made a mistake and are looking for answers/help?

Your only real reply to the questions asked was "Your choice".

Wow, gee, thanks (not).

I was not making excuses. I stated the circumstances. I already admitted that it was a stupid thing to do and now I am scared.
**A: ok, tell the court that you are an undercover Federal agent with "Operation Weed and Seed".

J

jbinaz

Wow

What an ass. Well, if it makes you feel better about yourself to kick dogs when they are down, I guess it makes it worth it to you. 35k+ posts of meanness, nastiness, and no help at all.

H

hexeliebe

What an ass. Well, if it makes you feel better about yourself to kick dogs when they are down, I guess it makes it worth it to you. 35k+ posts of meanness, nastiness, and no help at all.
Will you get real dumbass. Plea Guilty and quit being so damn stupid. Nothing in your post even remotely points to a circumstance where you have a chance in hell of getting off. Not a $500 an hour attorney or legal aid will be able to help.

No one can save you from your own stupidity.

And quit proving me right with each and every post. :rolleyes:

Beth3

You opted for the cheap brand. It didn't work. Your recourse was to complain to the manufacturer, not to go back to the store where you bought it (who is merely the retailer) and steal from them. THEY didn't make the stuff.

Given your prior conviction, you should at least consult with a criminal attorney before deciding whether legal representation is advisable.

HomeGuru

jbinaz said:

Should I pay a lot of money and hire an attorney over a less than $50 thing?

**A: real serious response to your question: YES.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">