• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citizen's arrest, court, road-raged driver NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katemorgan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? newyork

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about citizen's arrest in NY.

Recently, I was waiting for a parking space with my signal on. About 5 minutes later, a vehicle comes behind me and honks the horn. I simply ignored, they honked some more. The vehicle pulled up beside me and a woman began cursing me out, yelling, screaming, threatening me with her daughter watching everything. I was in complete shock so I just said whatever and didn't pay her any mind. She began driving away and I waved goodbye (bad Idea apparently).
She then blocked me in, got our her car and smacked me in the face. She ran up to my car before I could roll up the window. This was definitely a road-raged attack and I have never experienced anything close to this. She continues to threaten me, I yell that I am calling the police. I quickly find a keychain that is about the size of a normal rectangular key chain, it is glass. I wave it so that she would move away from my car. I barely can get out of the car, but I do in order to take a picture of her license plate. Witnesses now restrain her from approaching me, then she got in her car and sped away.
Cops find her, but do not charge her with anything. The cops said she can be placed under citizen's arrest but that it requires me allowing them to. I agree, not fully knowing what it entailed.
She lies and tells the cops that I attacked her and started the entire thing. To make it more upsetting, the officer asked me if I had a glass object I said yes and was trying to locate it to show him. He says "the woman says u swung this on her and requested that you also be placed on citizen's arrest."

The first court date was an appearance ticket. I assumed all would've been settled then and there. There is now another date for arraignment. What now happens? The paperwork said harassment and that I needed a lawyer. I am completely baffled over this situation and wish my window was rolled up. I guess there is no law to protect victims of road-rage drivers? :-/

I am a part of a church and a youth anti-bullying organization but I am too ashamed to open up to them about this matter. Quite frankly, I was dumb to agree on "citizens arrest" without knowing what it entails. I also did not know that protecting myself after being attack, and with something small at that, is considered a crime.

I do not have a criminal record of any sort, any pointers will help. All I do know is If I can't afford a lawyer, that one will be appointed to me. I do not want to destroy my perfect record and I don't want to lose out on mentoring children.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? newyork

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about citizen's arrest in NY.

Recently, I was waiting for a parking space with my signal on. About 5 minutes later, a vehicle comes behind me and honks the horn. I simply ignored, they honked some more. The vehicle pulled up beside me and a woman began cursing me out, yelling, screaming, threatening me with her daughter watching everything. I was in complete shock so I just said whatever and didn't pay her any mind. She began driving away and I waved goodbye (bad Idea apparently).
She then blocked me in, got our her car and smacked me in the face. She ran up to my car before I could roll up the window. This was definitely a road-raged attack and I have never experienced anything close to this. She continues to threaten me, I yell that I am calling the police. I quickly find a keychain that is about the size of a normal rectangular key chain, it is glass. I wave it so that she would move away from my car. I barely can get out of the car, but I do in order to take a picture of her license plate. Witnesses now restrain her from approaching me, then she got in her car and sped away.
Cops find her, but do not charge her with anything. The cops said she can be placed under citizen's arrest but that it requires me allowing them to. I agree, not fully knowing what it entailed.
She lies and tells the cops that I attacked her and started the entire thing. To make it more upsetting, the officer asked me if I had a glass object I said yes and was trying to locate it to show him. He says "the woman says u swung this on her and requested that you also be placed on citizen's arrest."

The first court date was an appearance ticket. I assumed all would've been settled then and there. There is now another date for arraignment. What now happens? The paperwork said harassment and that I needed a lawyer. I am completely baffled over this situation and wish my window was rolled up. I guess there is no law to protect victims of road-rage drivers? :-/

I am a part of a church and a youth anti-bullying organization but I am too ashamed to open up to them about this matter. Quite frankly, I was dumb to agree on "citizens arrest" without knowing what it entails. I also did not know that protecting myself after being attack, and with something small at that, is considered a crime.

I do not have a criminal record of any sort, any pointers will help. All I do know is If I can't afford a lawyer, that one will be appointed to me. I do not want to destroy my perfect record and I don't want to lose out on mentoring children.
You blocked traffic for FIVE min's . I be pissed as well. :rolleyes:

Katemorgan

You blocked traffic for FIVE min's . I be pissed as well. :rolleyes:
I know! I sat there so dumb founded. I can tell the lady was having a horrible day but why must I be attacked based on that? New York I tell ya, it's always something here :(

I am not a violent person but I am one that stands up for what I believe in...... now I wish I just never bothered. :confused:

Just Blue

I know! I sat there so dumb founded. I can tell the lady was having a horrible day but why must I be attacked based on that? New York I tell ya, it's always something here :(

I am not a violent person but I am one that stands up for what I believe in...... now I wish I just never bothered. :confused:
I just don't know what to say to the ^. :(

Katemorgan

I just don't know what to say to the ^. :(
It's okay. I just found this website today and figured that I would give it a try. If you know anyone that may have advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

I just can't imagine a criminal record, ever.... the thought is sickening.

Just Blue

It's okay. I just found this website today and figured that I would give it a try. If you know anyone that may have advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

I just can't imagine a criminal record, ever.... the thought is sickening.
I have asked another member to take a look at your thread.

Katemorgan

I think I just did the exact same thing as you!

Um... OP? You started this....

But what sort of advice are you looking for? (genuinely puzzled)
What does OP mean? Sorry I am new to this website. I wanted to know what would happen in court, and if I would be charged with "harassment" or anything of that nature, based on me attempting to protect myself from this road-raged driver.

I was told by a very nice officer that they usually throw these types of cases out, but I did not want to take the chance of it being a charge against me. Especially when I was attacked, and I did not put my hands on her at all. In her statement to police, she admitted to approaching my vehicle and blocking me in.

Katemorgan

I think I just did the exact same thing as you!

Um... OP? You started this....

But what sort of advice are you looking for? (genuinely puzzled)
Did I mention that I am 4'11 and also skinny... the lady was not very tall but definitely had 5 inches and at least 90lbs on me. I am 4'11 101lbs, I'm assuming this is why she chose to attack me :mad:

Just Blue

Did I mention that I am 4'11 and also skinny... the lady was not very tall but definitely had 5 inches and at least 90lbs on me. I am 4'11 101lbs, I'm assuming this is why she chose to attack me :mad:
If you are sitting in your car she wouldn't know how big...or small, you are. She just knew you sat for at least 5 min's blocking traffic waiting for a space. Perhaps that a NY "thing".

Katemorgan

If you are sitting in your car she wouldn't know how big...or small, you are. She just knew you sat for at least 5 min's blocking traffic waiting for a space. Perhaps that a NY "thing".
She actually had a ford suv, I was in a smaller 2 door car, she could tell that I was very petite. Her first foul words were "Little $&*&*& b****."

Last edited:

Just Blue

She actually had a bmw suv, I was in a smaller 2 door car, she could tell that I was very petite. Her first foul words were "you stupid little $&*&*& b****."
Was this in the NYC? In a parking lot? On the Street?

I asked 3 questions ...Please answer.

Thank You
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:

Katemorgan

Was this in the NYC? In a parking lot? On the Street?

I asked 3 questions ...Please answer.

Thank You
Blue
This was in garden city ny (long island), at a mall (Roosevelt field mall) and the mall parking lot. I asked for the security to bring the cameras to show what she did, but when they checked, they could only see her car sitting there. How convenient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">