• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil or Criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wahoochuck

What is the name of your state? TN, but the crime occured in FLA

I'm not even sure what category to put this in, but here is my problem-hope someone can help. I'll try to be as to the point as possible.
I recntly moved from FL to TN. Used a nationally known moving company. The contract called for door to door pick-up & delivery from the same driver. Driver was delayed on pick up date. I received a call from local affiliate of company asking if I really had to move that day. Of course I said yes, and was told a local crew would be over to pick up stuff. Truck used for pick-up had a hole in the roof, but we were told that it was only temp. that our stuff was going into a storage facility when it got back to local company. 8 days later our TN driver arrived in FLA to pick up stuff. belongings never left original truck, and it was broken into-items stolen and many boxes ransacked and destroyed. Driver told president and production manager, he was told to deliver anyway. Arrives in TN 3 days later, the driver is the first on to tell us about theft. Call local co. and their response was "I didnt want to pick up your stuff anyway". They never filed a police report, called us, or called national hq. Repeated phone calls to pres. and manager were never returned. National office says that it is very unusual that the theft was not reported, and they are paying claim. Many things stolen were of a personal nature, (hand made ceramics, collectables given to my wife while dating, tools from decaesed father, etc..) Do i have a case either criminal, (no police report leads me to believe that someone inside was responsible, also echoed by the driver also) and/or civil, for punitive, pain and suffering, breach of contract, etc....

Thank you for the help!!

seniorjudge

wahoochuck said:
What is the name of your state? TN, but the crime occured in FLA

I'm not even sure what category to put this in, but here is my problem-hope someone can help. I'll try to be as to the point as possible.
I recntly moved from FL to TN. Used a nationally known moving company. The contract called for door to door pick-up & delivery from the same driver. Driver was delayed on pick up date. I received a call from local affiliate of company asking if I really had to move that day. Of course I said yes, and was told a local crew would be over to pick up stuff. Truck used for pick-up had a hole in the roof, but we were told that it was only temp. that our stuff was going into a storage facility when it got back to local company. 8 days later our TN driver arrived in FLA to pick up stuff. belongings never left original truck, and it was broken into-items stolen and many boxes ransacked and destroyed. Driver told president and production manager, he was told to deliver anyway. Arrives in TN 3 days later, the driver is the first on to tell us about theft. Call local co. and their response was "I didnt want to pick up your stuff anyway". They never filed a police report, called us, or called national hq. Repeated phone calls to pres. and manager were never returned. National office says that it is very unusual that the theft was not reported, and they are paying claim. Many things stolen were of a personal nature, (hand made ceramics, collectables given to my wife while dating, tools from decaesed father, etc..) Do i have a case either criminal, (no police report leads me to believe that someone inside was responsible, also echoed by the driver also) and/or civil, for punitive, pain and suffering, breach of contract, etc....

Thank you for the help!!

You have a civil case for the actual and direct damages in the dollar amount for the stuff you lost.

Try small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">