• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clarification on Fraud Post

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hesterr

Pennsylvania

We have an old fashioned charge account at a local grocery store. To use the account you need to tell the cashier the name on the account provide ID and sign the sales slip. The store adds up all the slips at the end of the month and sends out the bill. The name on the account is my wifes name. There are no cards to scan or store issued authorization cards of any type. They require photo ID to match the name on the account for the sale.

Our neice decided to use our account to buy gift cards. She forged my wifes name to the slip and we received a $1500 bill this month. The Neice never provided ID to the cashier. The cashier and even the cashier manager approved the transactions without an ID. The store has a credit limit of $1000 on an account and this comes up on the register as a warning. It takes a manager approval and code entry to exceed the $1000 limit. There are 3 transactions after the $1000 limit was reached that had manager approval.

We have started the process of getting her prosecuted. She will be arrested on Monday when the warrant is issued. We are meeting with the store owners today to ID her on the survelance videos to put this all in motion. There is no doubt that she will be prosecuted.

So my question with some clarification. Am I responsible for the debt since the store failed to confirm ID and allowed the transactions to take place on our account? Or, is there some shared responsibility?

Any help is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">