• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class C or D Felony...What's the difference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennis Wills

What is the name of your state?I currently reside in Texas, but my question is a general one.

I often read about a Class A, B, C, or D felony, and sometimes a "State Felony".

What's the diference?

Earlier today, I read about a case in another state that was a level 4 felony. Would the various levels correspond to the Class A, B, etc?

Thanks

Dennis Wills

I don't know how to be more specific because I am not inquiring about any particular case. It's just when I read news articles it sometimes references felony or misdemeanor.

For example: I read today about a sex offender who had been arrested for failing to register when he moved to another state. He was charged with a Class C Felony.

What is the difference between B and C, or C and D.

Also, I always thought the felony charges were when you violated federal law, and misdemeanor was violating state, county city, etc. So what is meant by a "State Felony"?

Thanks for any input...I am just trying to learn... :)

S

seniorjudge

Crimes (misdemeanors and felonies) are often graded.

An A misdemeanor, e.g., could carry one year in the county jail and/or $1000 fine.

An A felony, e.g., could carry life in prison without parole.

There are federal felonies and misdemeanors and there are state felonies and misdemeanors.

E.g., arson is generally a state crime; crossing state lines to commit arson could be, however, a federal crime.

Dennis Wills

Thanks for your input.

So am I correct in assuming that a Class A felony is more serious than say, a Class D felony. And If this is correct, would misdemeanors be graded accordingly?

S

seniorjudge

"So am I correct in assuming that a Class A felony is more serious than say, a Class D felony. And If this is correct, would misdemeanors be graded accordingly?"

Yes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">