• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class C misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokenwindow

What is the name of your state? Kansas
Hi I am trying to find out what are the sentencing guidelines for a Class C misdemeanor. The code for the violation is 21-3722 Littering. I just need to find out what a Class C misdemeanor usually results in and whether I should look at getting a lawyer for something as petty as littering. Thanks for any information.

Son of Slam

brokenwindow said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas
Hi I am trying to find out what are the sentencing guidelines for a Class C misdemeanor. The code for the violation is 21-3722 Littering. I just need to find out what a Class C misdemeanor usually results in and whether I should look at getting a lawyer for something as petty as littering. Thanks for any information.
Strict liability laws make all violations, "regardless of intent" or without specifying any degree of culpability, a per se violation of the law. Every person who litters, even if the person had not intentionally littered, has committed a criminal violation.
Criminal littering or illegal dumping laws specifying a particular mental state could adopt a strict liability statute. Moreover, strict liability crimes eliminate the need for enforcement officers to witness the illegal act and to determine the person's mental state. Eliminating the criminal mental state chould make it easier for prosecutors to satisfy the elements of the prima facie case.
Conspiracy to Dump may be applied to people conspiring to commit a violation. A person conspiring to commit illegal dumping receives the same penalty as if the underlying offense had been violated.
This all can become very technical and deceiving as to what the DA's choices for prosecution may be, so although it may be too late for you, perhaps someone else reading this may be saved the time, money and embarrassment that prosecution for illegal dumping can bring, by simply putting that snot rag in the trash can.

brokenwindow

Great reply.

Thank you for the information. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not I should contact an attorney?
Thank you again for any input.

brokenwindow

RE: what did I litter

I was driving down the highway smoking a cigarette and I tossed the cigarette butt out the window and a kansas state trooper just happened to be directly behind me in my blind spot and pulled me over and gave me a notice to appear for littering. I am really just worried about what kind of effect this might have on my record as well as what kind of punishment is usually enforced in a situation like this. I take full responsibilty for littering and after doing some research on the internet I actually feel bad for it. Cigarette butts have toxic chemicals in them which can leak into air and water. I never knew that. So if anybody else here smokes don't throw your cigarette butts out the window dispose of them properly. Please.
Thanks for any other input anyone has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">