• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Class A Misdemeanor" - Endangering the life of child. Left kid unattend in a parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masque47

"Class A Misdemeanor" - Endangering the life of child. Left kid unattend in a parked

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

This is not my real profile. I need assistance. I have been charged with "Class A Misdemeanor" - Endangering the life of child. I left my kid in the car (off, decent temperature inside) for more than 10 mins it was parked at the walmart parking lot. My kid was sleeping in the car seat and was perfectly safe.

The cop called and asked me to come to the police station for self arrest and set a bail bond of $2000, I paid $200 (10%) + $50 (jail fee).
My court date is set for 3rd week Jan. I can be charged with 1 yr of jail at a max and $2500 fine as per IL law.
I have no criminal or bad record and I work for a very reputable company, I love my kid very much, I got out of the car to check on my wife who was shopping for more than 30mins and forgot to take her phone. My worries/questions at this point are: What should I do in court? I don't want to pay/hire a lawyer. I'm not a US citizen, I'm here one work visa.
Should I plead guilty or say no contest or say not guilty ? Also, should I take photo/video etc. to show the judge that I love my kid etc. I've argued with the police officer that I wasn't out for more than 10mins, she said that the witness who called 911 says it was more than 10mins so she'd believe them. I've never been in court. Please help.
Don't give a moral lecture. I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON VERY WELL. Many thanks for reading my story.

Do you think an attorney could get this off my records? (I might hire someone). Honestly, I was away for 10-15mins and the cop can prove this to the judge -> probably by showing the time of call of witness and my arrival time etc.

On top of the penalty etc. that the judge gives me, from that point on I'd always have to say in employment and other records. Ever been to jail -> yes and explain the charges etc. :(
Please pardon mistakes in writing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This is not my real profile. I need assistance. I have been charged with "Class A Misdemeanor" - Endangering the life of child. I left my kid in the car (off, decent temperature inside) for more than 10 mins it was parked at the walmart parking lot. My kid was sleeping in the car seat and was perfectly safe.

The cop called and asked me to come to the police station for self arrest and set a bail bond of $2000, I paid $200 (10%) + $50 (jail fee).
My court date is set for 3rd week Jan. I can be charged with 1 yr of jail at a max and $2500 fine as per IL law.
I have no criminal or bad record and I work for a very reputable company, I love my kid very much, I got out of the car to check on my wife who was shopping for more than 30mins and forgot to take her phone. My worries/questions at this point are: What should I do in court? I don't want to pay/hire a lawyer. I'm not a US citizen, I'm here one work visa.
Should I plead guilty or say no contest or say not guilty ? Also, should I take photo/video etc. to show the judge that I love my kid etc. I've argued with the police officer that I wasn't out for more than 10mins, she said that the witness who called 911 says it was more than 10mins so she'd believe them. I've never been in court. Please help.
Don't give a moral lecture. I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON VERY WELL. Many thanks for reading my story.

Do you think an attorney could get this off my records? (I might hire someone). Honestly, I was away for 10-15mins and the cop can prove this to the judge -> probably by showing the time of call of witness and my arrival time etc.

On top of the penalty etc. that the judge gives me, from that point on I'd always have to say in employment and other records. Ever been to jail -> yes and explain the charges etc. :(
I would suggest that you delete this thread and ONLY speak with your attorney about this matter. Admitting your guilt to the world is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Silverplum

You felt the need to check on your wife after she'd been shopping for 30 minutes, and thought you'd leave a small child alone to do so.

I have no "advice."

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

What about everyone else in the parking lot that saw your child? That could have taken your child? That could have caused harm? Is everyone perfectly safe?

You were worried about AN ADULT and left a child alone in the car seat? I miss your logic here. I am going to assume your wife is an adult and able to speak and able to scream if something were to happen. A child in a car seat most likely doesn't have the ability to self protect. Unlike most adults. Your wife forgot her phone yet you left your child. Not feeling sympathy.

Doesn't matter if it was ten minutes. Doesn't matter if it was five minutes. You were not in touching of the car. You couldn't protect your child while leaving said child in the car. You argued with the police officer? REALLY? You don't want a moral lecture? I won't give one because your morals endangered your child. Talk to any attorney

You are guilty of child endangerment if you left your child in the car for any point of time and couldn't touch the car and your child was sleeping. Oh well. You made a huge mistake -- by committing a crime!

masque47

I would suggest that you delete this thread and ONLY speak with your attorney about this matter. Admitting your guilt to the world is not a good thing.
Thanks for the info and reply. I won't hire a lawyer and plead guilty, be at judge's mercy. I was out for more than 10mins no attorney can save me.
I was only trying to understand if you'd help me in understanding the legal procedure for free -> as the name of the forum suggests.

masque47

What about everyone else in the parking lot that saw your child? That could have taken your child? That could have caused harm? Is everyone perfectly safe?

You were worried about AN ADULT and left a child alone in the car seat? I miss your logic here. I am going to assume your wife is an adult and able to speak and able to scream if something were to happen. A child in a car seat most likely doesn't have the ability to self protect. Unlike most adults. Your wife forgot her phone yet you left your child. Not feeling sympathy.

Doesn't matter if it was ten minutes. Doesn't matter if it was five minutes. You were not in touching of the car. You couldn't protect your child while leaving said child in the car. You argued with the police officer? REALLY? You don't want a moral lecture? I won't give one because your morals endangered your child. Talk to any attorney

You are guilty of child endangerment if you left your child in the car for any point of time and couldn't touch the car and your child was sleeping. Oh well. You made a huge mistake -- by committing a crime!
Thanks for the moral lesson I've had a lot of already more won't hurt. I was only trying to understand if you'd help me in understanding the legal procedure for free -> as the name of the forum suggests.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the info and reply. I won't hire a lawyer and plead guilty, be at judge's mercy. I was out for more than 10mins no attorney can save me.
I was only trying to understand if you'd help me in understanding the legal procedure for free -> as the name of the forum suggests.
You asked precisely three questions:

Should I plead guilty or say no contest or say not guilty ?
Also, should I take photo/video etc. to show the judge that I love my kid etc.
Do you think an attorney could get this off my records? (I might hire someone).
Then you get snarky when you're told to hire an attorney. Yeesh! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

CavemanLawyer

Do NOT go in and plead guilty without at least consulting a criminal law attorney and preferably also an immigration attorney. A conviction for a charge like that could potentially cause your work visa to be revoked but the greater risk is that it causes you to lose your job and then that puts your visa in jeopardy. I am completely unfamiliar with the criminal laws of your state but just because you can't deny leaving your child unattended doesn't mean your case isn't still defensible. There are a lot of nuances to criminal statutes and just because you clearly made a mistake doesn't necessarily mean that you violated that statute. Additionally you never know what the prosecutor may offer so don't rush to plead guilty.

Also be aware that the definition of conviction (as will be an option under the criminal statute) is not necessarily the same as the definition of conviction for immigration purposes. Even if you get some form of deferred probation not resulting in a criminal convicton, that can still be considered a conviction that can revoke your work visa. That is why you really need to consult an immigration attorney, or make sure your criminal law attorney consults one before entering any plea.

commentator

This reeks! Say "jealous and controlling husband" who didn't want to allow his wife to be out of his supervision for more than 30 minutes, she didn't take her cell phone, he has LOST CONTROL of her for a few minutes. But he was okay with leaving the child in the car. Well, if the child is able to walk, guess what could've happened? This did actually happen to me. Child wakes up, finds out that dad is gone. Gets out of car seat. Gets out of car, starts walking across the parking lot, looking for his mom and dad, and he's only less than three feet high. I hope they deport you!!!!!

masque47

This reeks! Say "jealous and controlling husband" who didn't want to allow his wife to be out of his supervision for more than 30 minutes, she didn't take her cell phone, he has LOST CONTROL of her for a few minutes. But he was okay with leaving the child in the car. Well, if the child is able to walk, guess what could've happened? This did actually happen to me. Child wakes up, finds out that dad is gone. Gets out of car seat. Gets out of car, starts walking across the parking lot, looking for his mom and dad, and he's only less than three feet high. I hope they deport you!!!!!
I'm also hoping the same !!!
Loss is theirs :)

Thanks for the replies.

Just Blue

I'm also hoping the same !!!
Loss is theirs :)

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't going to comment on this thread. But I will now.

The LOSS could have been that child LEFT ALONE in a flipping WALMART parking lot! Do you know how EASY it is to break into a car? 30 flipping seconds!! Your sleeping CHILD could have ended up in a ...place that made him/her perform horrible things to horrible "people" due to YOUR ACTIONS.

And that would have been your childs loss. The loss of his/her innocence, life and future...Because you "needed" to find your wife in Christmastime WALMART.

Go back alone to whatever country spawned you. It will not be "our loss" .

Eekamouse

Well, they'll deport YOU. There's no reason for your wife and child to have to go with you and hopefully, they won't.

Just Blue

Well, they'll deport YOU. There's no reason for your wife and child to have to go with you and hopefully, they won't.
I really doubt anyone from any country could be as dumb ass as OP. I thinking troll alert. (Not for the (sad to say) child...but for the after comments.

masque47

I wasn't going to comment on this thread. But I will now.

The LOSS could have been that child LEFT ALONE in a flipping WALMART parking lot! Do you know how EASY it is to break into a car? 30 flipping seconds!! Your sleeping CHILD could have ended up in a ...place that made him/her perform horrible things to horrible "people" due to YOUR ACTIONS.

And that would have been your childs loss. The loss of his/her innocence, life and future...Because you "needed" to find your wife in Christmastime WALMART.

Go back alone to whatever country spawned you. It will not be "our loss" .
Thanks for taking the time. Sir/Mam :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">