• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anglewings

What is the name of your state? Iowa

The thing I want to know is, can a campus police force, with a warrant, enter a students room, and take his stuff with out the student being there, even if the other student is present and his name is on the warrant? Also how can a policeman on campus make public statements about what the intentions of the students were without knowing for sure? Is that slander of character?

racer72

You present no evidence of any wrong doing by any authorities. Sounds like there is a lot more to the story that what you are giving.

N

NorthDA

college stuff

this is from minnesota:

Officers with a valid search warrant can enter your dorm room whether you're there or not. They may also seize items listed upon (or reasonably related to) those items for which they are searching.

You question states that your dorm-mate's name was also on the warrant. This further bolsters the validity of the warrant, although his/her name is not necessary for its issuance.

By the way, a police officer may make any statements which he/she believe to be true given the information that officer has at the time.

If you are interested in suing the officer/department, then you should probably retain an attorney. I would also recommend contacting the department about which you are complaining to file a formal complaint.

"This communication is my OPINION based on my legal education and experience. I am not YOUR attorney. My post does not imply or incur legal obligations or services. Do NOT act or rely on this OPINION without seeking the advice of a competent attorney in your state."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">