• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado Domestic Violence Case, Please HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amity

I live in Colorado. My live-in boyfriend was arrested approximately 3 days ago for an 1st Degree Assault charge and Criminal Mischief, after a neighbor called the police. We were arguing and I over-reacted by screaming which the neighbor heard. At the court hearing he pled guilty and plea bargained for 180 days work release and 18 months probation as well as fines for court costs and such. They dropped the Criminal Mischief charge and just charged him with 1st Degree Assault. Now he is going to attempt to appeal this as he says he wasn't completely aware of what he was pleading for. I actually do want to help him with this appeal, but upon asking the DA if I could drop the charges at this point they said that that would have had to be done at the first court hearing (which I was completely unaware was a possibility). I know he has to write a letter to the judge in order to appeal and then the judge needs to make a decision and if he/she agrees there will be a courtdate set. Could you please give me any information as to how the process could be expedited and what I could do or he might need to do for the appeal. I'd appreciate any help at this point. Also is there anyway that the mandatory restraining order could be eradicated or at least modified quickly?

stephenk

Were you screaming because he just hit you or was just about to hit you? If he is innocent there is no way he would have pled guilty to assault.

His appeal will be denied. Why? Because regretting a sentence after it is imposed is not grounds to set aside a plea bargain.

Enjoy the many future contacts with the police and court system if you stay with this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">