• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company threatens loss of clearance if non-DOD agreement is signed. Can't be legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsjustchuck

Company threatens loss of clearance if non-DOD agreement isn't signed. Can't be legal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm with an IT agency that sponsored my secret clearance. Now clearances last for a few years before any kind of renewal I think. Well this company says that (and this has happened a couple of times, nearly twice a year) DoD did an audit and some of the techs records are missing updated files.

They sent these to me and when I went through I saw one agreement which is to the company. No letter head just some word doc and in one of the sections it mentions inventions. Any and all inventions, discoveries etc, "while under this agreement" not while on a call. Is property of the company, and they can charge me if I "Fail to act professionally" which is a blank check if ya ask me. Or "Arrive anytime after the stated ETA" which means Estimated time of arrival. But if I call and say I'll be 5 minutes late because of traffic, it's not on the "stated ETA" on the sheet and so they can charge me that. They're not a good IT company. The pay is poor and they treat techs horribly and is not a good system.

When I asked if this was required, they said yes, I said prove it. They said a DSS agent said so and I told them with contracts "some dude said so" doesn't cut it. So it got forwarded to a manager and then he comes back with. "Just disregard everything" I asked what that meant, forfeit clearance? disagree with me? and they just said, all he said was disregard so not sure. But if you ask me this seems sketchy and unconstitutional. Especially using the DoD to do it. Anyone know about this kind of stuff? Is there a case here?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I'm with an IT agency that sponsored my secret clearance. Now clearances last for a few years before any kind of renewal I think. Well this company says that (and this has happened a couple of times, nearly twice a year) DoD did an audit and some of the techs records are missing updated files.

They sent these to me and when I went through I saw one agreement which is to the company. No letter head just some word doc and in one of the sections it mentions inventions. Any and all inventions, discoveries etc, "while under this agreement" not while on a call. Is property of the company, and they can charge me if I "Fail to act professionally" which is a blank check if ya ask me. Or "Arrive anytime after the stated ETA" which means Estimated time of arrival. But if I call and say I'll be 5 minutes late because of traffic, it's not on the "stated ETA" on the sheet and so they can charge me that. They're not a good IT company. The pay is poor and they treat techs horribly and is not a good system.

When I asked if this was required, they said yes, I said prove it. They said a DSS agent said so and I told them with contracts "some dude said so" doesn't cut it. So it got forwarded to a manager and then he comes back with. "Just disregard everything" I asked what that meant, forfeit clearance? disagree with me? and they just said, all he said was disregard so not sure. But if you ask me this seems sketchy and unconstitutional. Especially using the DoD to do it. Anyone know about this kind of stuff? Is there a case here?
A case for what?

quincy

Not only do I have the same question of you that Zigner has posed, I am not sure what kind of "stuff" you are talking about.

Would you care to clarify your concern a bit? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">