• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compensation for items stolen from me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotterick0003

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona..

Can I make a person pay for items that they stole from me, plus the cost of having to replace them? It was money that I did not intend to spend so I was hoping I could get some compensation for it:confused:

Antigone*

Can I make a person pay for items that they stole from me, plus the cost of having to replace them? It was money that I did not intend to spend so I was hoping I could get some compensation for it:confused:
What proof do you have that this person stole items from you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Assuming that you do get the other person to pay, why should they pay you for the value of the item AND for the cost of a new one? It doesn't work that way. You only get the depreciated value of the item (generally)

justalayman

If you can prove they stole the items from you, you would have a claim for the fair market value of the property at the time of the theft.

If you have proof they stole the property, have you called the police to report the theft?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you can prove they stole the items from you, you would have a claim for the fair market value of the property at the time of the theft.

If you have proof they stole the property, have you called the police to report the theft?
This is a more accurate answer than mine. "Depreciated value" is not the correct measure in this instance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">