• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated E-Commerce Related Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lexondre

I am a small business owner who is currently in midst of entering trial on a criminal charge stemmed from operations on an e-commerce project ran 2001 via E-bay.

The felony charges are "theft by swindle", stating that there are 100 or so complaints confirming that consumer goods were purchased online and not received.

My business has ran smoothly since late 1996, when I began doing web sites for businesses while still in high school. I worked as a ad sales rep for a city newspaper while attending college and running my business on the side for 3 years. I left my day job and ran my business full time with new international trade contacts for digital media and consumer electronics.

The operation involving the charge ran between Late April-Early June 2001, selling Playstation 2 systems and accessories. My supplier had extended my company credit terms after a few smooth pre-paid transactions.

With credit payment terms with my supplier I began to increase daily sales volume only immediately liable for freight forwarding expenses, auction listings, and fees from US customs.

One week after increasing sales volume I had seeked out a communications center to handle the 6-700 emails and customer service calls daily.

My corporation was receiving 100-200 orders per day for E-bay auction listings only which were paid for buy winning bidders usually 2-5 days following auction close. My shipping terms were "10-12 business days following payment" for standard freight. These terms were listed in the auction offering.

I had pursued to organize a swift operation, hiring a distribution center to ship goods from supplier (to my customers), an assistant who was in charge of printing out order statements from my company's Paypal account (which were thereafter shipped to distribution center), a customs/freight agent at Emery Cargo, and the communication center which had the duty of customer support (via email and phone). My tasks consisted on accounting and purchase orders with supplier.

In mid-May my company's E-bay ID was suspended due to a complaint issued by a buyer whom had purchased an item from my company the day prior. The complaint was spurred by the buyers demand for product within 2-3 days. This was obviously not our policy as our auction listing specified 10-12 days. The buyer as well contacted other buyers from the previous/current day sales stating that my company was fraudulent and that they had ordered weeks prior and not received goods. This was obviously invalid as they had paid for their item only a day or so prior to placing the complaint. After explaining the situation to E-bay and providing a tracking number for the complaining party's order (which had been shipped rush delivery at our expense in attempt to cease anymore flagrant damage due to circumstance) my company's E-bay account was reinstated three days following the suspension.

Many customers whom had orders in transit had requested charge backs from Paypal which were never reversed despite the confirmed deliver status forwarded to them only days later. Many other paid customers from auction order placed less than 5 days prior had followed with charge back requests based upon the day old "hear say" notification from the first complaining party (who had at this point received their order weeks prior).

With hundreds of orders in limbo, some that were new and pending, some in transit, and some delivered but charged back a day or two before delivery things began to approach severe degrees. The communication center began being swamped with several hundred of emails and calls regarding the status of orders, most which were placed less than 3-7 days prior when order terms were still 10-12.

On numerous attempts I had tried contacting E-bay and Paypal in hopes to find a faster resolution to defeat the "snowball effect" that I was undergoing. No response except auto-replies and copy/paste responses from E-bay/Paypal operators (providing very little or no answer to my emails).

I had tried to keep up with "hot" customers by shipping orders from domestic wholesalers (whose pricing was much higher than what I purchased or sold the goods for to my customers) just to prevent fabricated slander to circulate due to complaining parties. There was no feasible way to decrease order transit time since goods were purchased in bulk once a week from overseas supplier (0-7 days), air freighted to distribution center (4-5 days), and shipped to customer (2-4 days). The truth is that some customer's orders would arrive to them sooner and others later, depending on when there payment was made (not exceeding specified order time frame, exceptional only on mail-in payments).

By early June I was losing revenue on charge back orders (that were actually delivered), auction listing fees (for buyers that reconsidered on finished transaction following notification on invalid claim from "hot" customer(s), customer service fees (for the high volume complaint inquiries along with standard fees), and Paypal system errors (for duplicate order statement files which were caught eventually by assistant and distribution center), and refunds requested by buyers who had paid for order, received email stating invalid claim, and reconsidered on order before ship deadline.

On June 6, 2001 my company's E-bay account was suspended again. The majority of the previous week's buyers whom had pending orders got scared after discovering this (some who had as well received email with invalid claims) charged back their payment or demanded a refund.

With several orders (some pending and others new) it was very difficult to resolve the matter fast enough to keep up with complaints. The communications center had decreased personal email replies and replaced them with auto-replies since my company was under major financial difficulties, not able to pay for full service as prior with the overwhelming customer inquiry volume in conjunction with no overhead to cover expenses.

By mid-June the communication center had discontinued service. I had contracted with an inexpensive answering service which kept account for any customer contacts for me to contact personally later.

I had been contacted by a Detective M. S****** of the (Hopkins, MN Police Dept) mid-June regarding 4-6 customer complaints related to my company's E-bay auctions. He for some odd reason was able to contact the management office of where had moved from months before and made initial contact with an ex-girlfriend at her new address. Not understanding why he contacted her (as the management office had my new contact details to where they would send my deposit return), I contact Detective S****** after receiving a relayed response from my mother, who had been contacted by my ex-girlfriend. Detective S****** opened the discussion with a blunt accusation to fraud committed by my company before asking me any questions, insisting that I schedule a meeting with him. I ask Detective S****** has he crossed referenced with Detective Carlson (who had visited the communication center following a few complaint call to find that the business operation were legitimate). I thereafter ask him for names of the complaints. Detective S****** refuses to provide with their names, saying that I should already know who they are. When I tell him that my company handles hundreds of orders weekly he makes remarks that I am only making excuses and most likely do not run a legitimate business.
Despite his lack of cooperation and attempt to thoroughly investigate complaints to support his remarks, I provide him with contacts and phone numbers to my freight forwarder, distribution manager, and a local Mail Box Etc. that was shipping rush orders to prove that my operations were indeed legitimate despite the current dis-functions. He contacts the Mail Box Etc. only to finds that there are goods as specified in E-bay offerings being shipped. M. S****** follows up a few days later still insisting that my activities are fraudulent and will not release names of the 5-6 complaints he had received.

July-September I am no longer on E-bay selling but thus previous transaction still replying to complaints, cross-referencing claims, and sending refunds to verified order cancellations. Early in July I have meeting with Better Business Bureau in attempt to collect all names of outstanding complaints and resolve matters since my Paypal account was frozen, not allowing me to login and retrieve customer order data any longer and no cooperation from Paypal to receive a list of total complaints.

As of August I was completely in debt, using net earnings from new business program to pay debts from former E-bay operation and still keep up with personal necessities (i.e; rent, food, child support). Personally resolving complaints one by one I begin to see hope towards resolving problem over time. Any complaint on file was notified with update on situation and settle any claim (if valid) over time. Most customers were accepting on these terms and understood my situation.

(continued.....see "Complicated E-Commerce Related Case Part 2" - had to cut short due to 10k word limit)

Last edited:

L

lexondre

Complicated E-Commerce Related Case Part 2

November 8, 2001 I was arrested on state warrant for felony charges and failure to appear in court the previous month. There were several customers in July/August (who had already received orders) notifying me with an email from an anonymous party (who was actually Det. S****** later found) requesting details on my company and suggesting to file a complaint against me. What was difficult to understand was why the complaint were never filed (initially) with the Minnesota Attorney General's office (as they knew nothing of the complaints when contacting them) and secondly, how the court summons was sent to an address in Hopkins that Detective S****** knew I hadn't resided at for over 6 months. My business and home address had not changed during this time frame from April-August (when the complaint was initially filed).

After being held in custody nearly a day, I am later told I have a warrant for felony charges and missing a scheduled court appearance with $22,000 bail. After being released two nights later I submitted urgent contacts via fax, email, and phone to Paypal and E-bay to released information regarding complaints on my former accounts. Nothing but auto-responses via email were provided. I attempted doing this twice a month hoping to one day get a solid reply through one of the three methods used.

Court appearances began in mid-November. I requested continuance to hire an attorney. I was soon to find following numerous consultations that due to the complexity of my case retainers began at $20-50k (in up-front fees). I had very limited income at the time, was not mobile, and was still busy trying to resolve old complain from E-bay project despite criminal charges filed.

After nearly becoming homeless and unable to support my daughter I accept court's offering for public defender since I was unable to attain funds for an attorney that would represent me in my case. I gather all supporting documentation I was currently accessible to for Public Defender, Choes. The pre-trial date is continued and Choes and I have numerous meetings.

In May 2002 I invite the court Choes' assigned investigator to my studio apartment in Saint Paul and show him different files from my 2001 E-bay operation (i.e; shipping airway bills, account files) as well as well as I huge box of left over goods from my supplier in China. I provide him an article from Smart Money's June 2001 issue regarding similar E-bay-Paypal related occurrences as mine with other small business owners.

Later in the month the investigator visits with the communications center that handled my customer support. The communications director had printed out the 7000+ files on hand for the investigator. The investigator refused the documents, saying that only a hand full were necessary.

By late-May I become aware that Choes was not making awareness to supporting documents which I provided him months before. This was affirmed when Choes had asked me numerous questions in reference to details that were amongst information that was already provided to him. Choes had accused me several times of "lying to him" about answers to questions and insisted that I was guilty of the charges.

In July I was able to obtain a loan from a business colleague to hire an attorney. I appeared in court July 24, 2002 alone with explanation of arrangement and confirmation of intent for representation from the attorney. The judge ordered I appear July 26 with attorney. July 25, 2002 I had received funds to pay the attorney however since no funds were in my account to cover the check, a 5 day hold was issued.

I arrive to court and attempt to explain to judge my situation and that the attorney was not present due to funds not being available until following mid-week. The judge refuses to hear out my explanation and orders me to be taken into custody and a $10,000 bail.

Despite my bail being paid within 2 days, I am held in jail for 7 days, and released. While in jail I am visited by Cohoes, who makes gloating remarks that "we've got you now" and "everything you have told me is a bunch of bulls*it."

I am told by my attorney that the prosecutor "has a good case" against me whereas I am certain there is something very simple everyone is overlooking. Granted there may very well be a few dozen customers (out of hundreds altogether) that are still unsettled but it should have been clear that my company's actions and intentions were not fraudulent or "theft by swindle". Any settled balances I am more than happy to establish payment arrangements for now that I am aware of it.

Paypal payment records show several customer complaints not resolved however these records were never issued prior to a court subpoena made Fall 2002. October 2002 was the first time I had seen anything from Paypal except an non-descriptive invoice (for charge backs) from my company's old account from 2001.

I talk with the Attorney General's office November 2002 to find out no information on my case never entered their office before being forwarded to the county attorney.

With the grace of God, my only anticipation is to have a complicated case of this nature reviewed thoroughly under every aspect which shall prove that my business operations were legitimate despite a freak occurrence that resulted from uncontrollable sabotage from E-bay users, lack of correspondence and cooperation from Paypal and other involved parties. It is clear that following June of 2001 that I continued to resolve (what was initially several hundred) problems by all possible mean that I was capable of and then some.

The state complaint by Detective S****** was issued less than two months after the first discussion I had with him. With him being unwilling to release the complainant names, E-bay/Paypal not replying to any of my requests for total complaint details, and initial complaint emails (from June 2001) in data account that I did not have access to it is nearly impossible to respond and resolve the total number of complaints that I am being charged with.

I can appreciate the time taken to read this testimony. I have not been given an opportunity by court system to explain this as now. I only seek feedback on your observation on what you perceive my case as.

N

Nuke

WOW :eek: !!!! I can see a few ways you could have avoided this, but that's water under the bridge. I think you had your supply chain too tight. Once you had you business to a certain size, you should have divorced from PayPal and gone to direct credit card billing - that way you get a bank standing behind you. I amazed that Ebay suspended you for only on complaint after many positives. You really need a good lawyer, 'cause mail fraud charges are taken very seriously. You get what you pay for with a public defender - sell your car, your house whatever, but get a real lawyer. Don't miss any more court appearances - they HATE that. Good luck.

L

lexondre

Re:

I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I currently have a good attorney but things still look gloomy. I never intentionally missed the one court date....the summons was sent to an address I hadn't lived at for over 6 months instead of my business address or current home addy. The divorcing of Paypal was nearly impossible as almost every Ebayer trusts them over new merchants despite feedback. My supply chain was somewhat cushionless however cashflow had to keep up with due date on invoices for bulk order with supplier as well as keep up with new receivables from online transactions that changed daily.

The volume increase happened so fast that slowing things down to establish new methods of organization of the operation only made matters worse on attempt. As each order with supplier had to be specific minimum, descreasing number of auction offerings on the retail end only hurt the movement of bulk orders on the wholesale aspects with my supplier. My fixed wholesale cost at the time allowed a 2-6% net return per order ($7-12), which meant- for every bulk shipment of 500-1000pcs I walked away with $5-8k per week after buying product, paying freight, customs, and other operating expenses. After a few wacky days of occurrences with even a small percentage of my total auction offerings my profits were required to remedy the urgent matters in order to stay in operation.

In essence, I needed new net return just to keep up with the few dozen problems from last week's transaction while still keeping up with current sales and still keep every deadline as paying my supplier and subcontractors who enable the operation to stay active and possible. There were a zillion catch 22's that required 24 hours results that forced me into being 2-3 places at once. Bottom line is that gross funds for product were not used tyo fix these problems other than the several full amount charge backs swiped by Paypal (without prior notice) from my current Paypal balance (which were new order payments), the credit card on file, and business checking account. This was what started the beginning stages of a huge mess.

For the first few dozen charge backs I sacrificed my own funds to cover the order wholesale costs, shipping the goods based upon the assurance from Paypal, that confirmed deliveries on charge back orders would be reversed immediately. This did not happen. I soon informed the communication center of a firm policy to provide any customer under circumstance where funds have been charged back through Paypal. The new policy stated that any order charged back was immediately terminated without any questions asked. Many of the customers whose order payments had been charged back from my company's Paypal account contacted us for weeks after. I had later discovered (and was able to confirm) that this was because Paypal was not refunding their payments promptly nor providing full amount when they did so weeks later. I would assume this is how the local police got involved but no one ever questioned me about my operation, other than insisting that I had sole control over payments and product.

When explaining to customers the situation they insisted I was lying and forwarding email messages confirming that Paypal was telling them that my company still had their money and that's why they had not yet been refunded. Nonetheless, I forwarded proof and transaction ID number showing that funds were indeed charged back. When addressing matter to Paypal directly no reply ever surfaced.

L

lexondre

Any feedback from anybody on my matter would be highly appreciated.

P

paypalsucks

I can't say I'm surprised

If what you say is true (and I see no reason not to believe you) I invite you to post this on our site. You'll get feedback I'm sure. In fact, we have had another user, in very a similiar situation post his story, only to have his customers read "his side" and they actually worked out their problems.

I encourage you to do the same.

http://PayPalSucks.com

I'm really sorry to hear of your problems with the state. Unfortunately, the zeal of the law can run rampant over the evidence. (We just has the SC of Arizona recommend disbarment for a local prosecutor who choose to ignore the law to get convictions.) Please post and keep us updated.

HomeGuru

Re: I can't say I'm surprised

paypalsucks said:
If what you say is true (and I see no reason not to believe you) I invite you to post this on our site. You'll get feedback I'm sure. In fact, we have had another user, in very a similiar situation post his story, only to have his customers read "his side" and they actually worked out their problems.

I encourage you to do the same.

http://PayPalSucks.com

I'm really sorry to hear of your problems with the state. Unfortunately, the zeal of the law can run rampant over the evidence. (We just has the SC of Arizona recommend disbarment for a local prosecutor who choose to ignore the law to get convictions.) Please post and keep us updated.

**A: please contact the website administrator regarding the use of your user name.

N

nam5star

hey lexondre

im very sorry to hear about your situation, but why didnt you just simply request information (telephone number) of the first person who had filed a complaint against you whom also encouraged your other customers to do the same, im sure if u spoke directly to him over the phone, there wouldnt be many problems, so if u ever decide to get back up selling again, consider that option ,,,by the way, what is your ebay id? and do you mind telling me your supplier? anyways, just email me at [email protected]

A

acle-dave

Re: hey lexondre

nam5star said:
im very sorry to hear about your situation, but why didnt you just simply request information (telephone number) of the first person who had filed a complaint against you whom also encouraged your other customers to do the same, im sure if u spoke directly to him over the phone, there wouldnt be many problems, so if u ever decide to get back up selling again, consider that option ,,,by the way, what is your ebay id? and do you mind telling me your supplier? anyways, just email me at [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Its nice to know that you are concerned about this persons problem as it could happen to any of us.
But Why do you want tthe information about their suppliers???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">