• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complications to USA travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

appletan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi, I am planning to come to USA for a holiday soon. 10 years ago, when I was an international student in Australia, I was caught jay walking in the city at 1 am when the streets was empty and got fined by the cops. I left Australia 9 years ago with an outstanding jaywalking fine. Do you reckon this has become a criminal offense? I am unsure if there is a warrant to my name due to this case. But I did not have any issues entering UK, Singapore and Japan for holidays during the recent years. The complicated part is that I heard US and Australia shares the criminal database, which is activated when my passport is scanned at the US airport. Will my passport get flagged at the US airport and will I get jailed or refused entry to USA because of my outstanding jaywalking fine? Lastly, my point is that since I was an international student in Australia, but I am from China and holding chinese passport and if I did not declare that I have went to Australia before, will the US immigration officers still check the Australia Criminal Database for records? I have outstanding jaywalking fines but I am unsure if i have warrant for it since I have not paid it or if I have criminal record for the outstanding jay walking fine. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi, I am planning to come to USA for a holiday soon. 10 years ago, when I was an international student in Australia, I was caught jay walking in the city at 1 am when the streets was empty and got fined by the cops. I left Australia 9 years ago with an outstanding jaywalking fine. Do you reckon this has become a criminal offense? I am unsure if there is a warrant to my name due to this case. But I did not have any issues entering UK, Singapore and Japan for holidays during the recent years. The complicated part is that I heard US and Australia shares the criminal database, which is activated when my passport is scanned at the US airport. Will my passport get flagged at the US airport and will I get jailed or refused entry to USA because of my outstanding jaywalking fine? Lastly, my point is that since I was an international student in Australia, but I am from China and holding chinese passport and if I did not declare that I have went to Australia before, will the US immigration officers still check the Australia Criminal Database for records? I have outstanding jaywalking fines but I am unsure if i have warrant for it since I have not paid it or if I have criminal record for the outstanding jay walking fine. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The USA has neither the time nor the resources available to do a background check in every country in the world for every traveler entering the US. Nor would the US arrest anyone for a minor warrant existing in another country.

appletan

The USA has neither the time nor the resources available to do a background check in every country in the world for every traveler entering the US. Nor would the US arrest anyone for a minor warrant existing in another country.
Hi, Thank you for taking your time to reply. I heard that the US and Australia shares the criminal database and I heard that in Australia if you don't pay your fines on time, it is possible to get a warrant for it even if it is a minor offence. In such scenarios, if you have a warrant, when you try to re-enter Australia, you passport can get flagged when it is scanned. My point is if Australia shares their database with the US, and when my passport is scanned in the US airport, is it possible to get flagged too because there is a possibility I might get flagged in the Australia airport and Australia shares their database with the US. My explanation seems a little complicated, hope you understood what I meant to say. Thank you once again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi, Thank you for taking your time to reply. I heard that the US and Australia shares the criminal database and I heard that in Australia if you don't pay your fines on time, it is possible to get a warrant for it even if it is a minor offence. In such scenarios, if you have a warrant, when you try to re-enter Australia, you passport can get flagged when it is scanned. My point is if Australia shares their database with the US, and when my passport is scanned in the US airport, is it possible to get flagged too because there is a possibility I might get flagged in the Australia airport and Australia shares their database with the US. My explanation seems a little complicated, hope you understood what I meant to say. Thank you once again.
Contact your local American Consulate/Embassy and ask them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">